A Nutcracker Christmas

Me: Don't make me come up there and get you.

Thea: I'm almost done.

Me: I will come in and make a scene.

Thea: Please don't.

Me: You have five minutes.

I mindlessly scrolled on Instagram for the next five minutes while I waited for Thea to meet me in my car. I glanced at the time.

Me: Your five minutes is up here I come.

Thea: I'm coming

Thea walked out of the building shortly after and hopped in my car. I looked at the time.

"Five-fifteen, not bad Amato. I was expecting to drag you kicking and screaming out of your office."

"Just drive."

"Really, I'm proud of you for actually leaving work on time." Thea flipped me off and I laughed. We began our twenty minute to drive to the elementary school where Luca worked. "How was your day at work?"

"Busy. The usual. How was your day?"

"The usual. How's Mark?"

"Still an asshole. How's Monica?"

"Still psycho."

"She really hated me yesterday didn't she?"

"It sure seemed like it; she wouldn't stop glaring at me the entire day. Even Jim noticed."

Thea laughed. "I'm going to have fun with her Friday."

"Oh yeah? How so?"

"That's a surprise." I raised an eyebrow in question. "You'll just have to wait."

"I see."

We lapsed I to a comfortable silence and listened to all the best Christmas hits I queued for Thea. She was looking out the window at the blanket of snow covering the world and mouthing the words to each song. She mindlessly pushed her lazy curls out of her face and tucked them behind her ear. So serene, I thought.

My stomach fluttered at the thought of her beauty.

I pulled my eyes away and focused on the road. I'd been having a lot of those thoughts about Thea lately and it was a bit unnerving. All day yesterday I couldn't get it out of my head that I'd woke up tangled into her and liked it. Thea hadn't been mad but I wondered if she would have had she seen into my thoughts or knew I'd do it again if I had the chance. And when she kissed my cheek yesterday I felt like the whole world stopped. I stood there like a fool, my hand to my cheek, for what felt like hours before I went back to my office.

Thea was doing something to me and I couldn't quite figure out what. The only thing I really knew was that it seemed like all of my free thoughts gravitated back to Thea, like I couldn't keep myself away. I grew sad at the thought of us in the new year when I wouldn't see her every morning with a cup of coffee.

"What are you thinking about?" Thea asked. She had her eyes trained on me, imploring.

"Oh, nothing really."

"You have this look on your face; I've seen it before, but you won't tell me what you're thinking about."

I laughed it off. "There's nothing to tell. I'm just thinking about work and going home next week and the party Friday, that's all."

Thea stared at me for a moment, her head tilted like she was about solve a challenging puzzle.

"Liar."

"What?" I sputtered.

"You're a terrible liar."

"No I am not!" Thea smirked but didn't argue with me. "What are you thinking about?"

"Truly, nothing at all. I'm enjoying the car ride with you."

I smiled and we fell into silence again, but I felt Thea watching me. I glanced at her and she smiled.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"You are the most confusing person I've ever met."

"Please elaborate."

"I never know what you're thinking."

"I'm always transparent with you about what I'm thinking."

"If you choose to share, which you don't."

Thea smirked. "First rule of the courtroom: always keep your cards close."

"This isn't courtroom number five, loser, this is life."

"Life, if anything, is a courtroom and I always abide by my rules."

"Like never revealing exactly what you're thinking?"

"Until the right time, yes."

I cocked an eyebrow and chewed my lip. "So by that logic there's something you're not telling me but will once the opportunity presents itself?"

"Exactly."

"You and Luca are so annoying. I know he's keeping a secret from me too. Do you know the secret?"

"I know everything Luca knows."

"You are the most annoying siblings in the entire world, do you know that?"