Slughorn's Christmas Party

Chapter 29 - Slughorn's Christmas Party

The next few weeks were spent with the Golden Quartet split up, again. Though Ron was her cousin, Taylor was livid at him. She spent all of her time with Hermione and shot glares at him all the time. Harry was in between them both but seemed to spend more time with Ron even though he wished to be with Taylor. Things were made worse with the upcoming Christmas Party that Slughorn invited Harry, Hermione, and Taylor to, but not Ron. Though Taylor repeatedly told her not to, Hermione decided inviting Cormac McLaggen would work best. Luna had invited Ginny and the word had started spreading around that they were dating, seeing that Ginny was quite popular. However, it seemed that boys still asked Ginny to the party and she had to repeatedly use her bat-bogey hex. Both Taylor and Harry didn't have dates even though they were both asked a few times by different people.

"So, are you going to ask her?" asked Hermione during one of the times she was with Harry, in the library.

"Ask who what?" Harry asked, trying to avoid the question even though he knew what she meant.

"Harry, you know what I mean. Have you asked Taylor to the Christmas party?"

"Oh, uh, no. Not yet," he responded sheepishly. Hermione closed her book and sighed.

"Harry, you have to do it or she's going to get another date! I don't see what's the big problem, you've been friends since you were what, six?"

"That's the thing! We've been friends for so long wouldn't it be weird? She probably doesn't even like me that way and then I wouldn't be her friend at all."

"Obviously not. I'm just saying, you need to get a move on. She's quite popular, probably because she's a metamorphagus, and she's going to get asked more soon. As well as that, you've got Romilda Vane and her gang trying to slip you love potions, so just be careful."

"Hello," said Taylor as she came into the library. "What are you looking at right now?"

"Oh, just some Transfiguration homework. I need to go speak to Professor McGonagall about something right now. I'll leave you two be," Hermione responded giving Harry a look as if forcing him to ask already.

"Ron is being an absolute git. You can't find him anywhere without 'Lav-Lav' with him. You know, she's a very nice girl, but just so clingy on him."

"Yeah. Right," said Harry.

"So, have you chosen someone to go to the party with you yet?"

"Um, no. I was actually wondering whether.. um . Well, I was wondering whether you wanted to go with me?" Harry stuttered. Taylor looked up and he quickly added, "as friends, you know." He internally hit himself over and over again, but Taylor smiled and said "Sure. That sounds fun. Now, could you help me with this potions essay because..." and Taylor started rambling about her homework. Well, she said yes. But not in the way he wanted. Great.

"What do you mean you said 'as friends'?" screeched Hermione. "You're so stupid!"

"I know, but I just said it, I don't know why!"

"You know she would have said yes either way. Well, at least you don't need to worry about those love potions anymore, hopefully."

The party came soon and Harry waited in the common room for Taylor and Hermione, who was going to come with them to the party (trying to hide from Cormac, but she didn't say that). He heard laughing from the stairs and down came the two girls along with Ginny. Taylor was wearing a light purple-ish pink dress that went along with her usual bright pink, which was swept up into a high ponytail. In summary, she looked absolutely gorgeous.