Chapter 53

I sat down on the train, sitting in a compartment with George and Fred. "Bye mum." George called out the window. I smiled waving at Tonks and Molly then looking at the clouds form as we pulled out of the station. Everyone was laughing and catching up, but I felt no interest in hearing about their summers. I sat back pulling out my notebook beginning to sketch the house I still dreamed of.

  When we got to Hogwarts I sighed standing up, I nodded when I came up to Harry Ron Hermione and Neville at the carriages. I raised my eyebrow when I saw the creature pulling it. "What is that?" Harry asked. "Pulling the cartridge?" Hermione nodded, "nothing Harry it's pulling itself as usual." We stepped up into the seats, and a blonde hair girl smiled, "you're not crazy, I see them too." This didn't reassure me, and I'm sure it didn't Harry. I nudged him quietly whispering, "I see it too."  He nodded squeezing my hand. Neville reached across also touching my hand, "I'm really sorry about Cedric." I gave him a small smile. "Thanks Neville."

Ron helped me down the steps and the four of us sat down together at the feast. I looked up when Dumbledore began his speech. "I know this year is going to be difficult for many. Scary even. And I'm here to tell you we offer resources, for coping, acceptance. The loss of our own Cedric Diggory has impacted many students. In light of this a memorial has been placed alongside the black lake. Do visit and pay respects. And now a few adjustments have been made to our staff, Dolores Umbridge the new defence against the dark arts professor." I was taken back about the mentioning of Cedric but not enough to ignore the ugly woman upfront in all pink. She stood up clearing her throat, beginning an introduction speech. I don't know if it was him talking about Cedric or this woman's voice but I was fed up, I left the table making my way up to the Gryffindor common room. I sat down on the couch pulling my legs to my chest.

   I stayed like that nodding at many other students as they made their way in. Eventually Hermione walked in with Ron and Harry. I stood up trying to ignore the awkward silence that spread the moment Harry walked in. He greeted dean and Seamus and I narrowed my eyebrows as Seamus stood up yelling at Harry. "My mum didn't want me to come back this year, lots of things have been said about you and Dumbledore. No one was there the night Cedric died." I rolled my eyes,  and Ron stepped up, "shut up. You know NOTHING about that. Is there any more questions about Harry? Good, keep Cedric's name out of your mouths." I pushed past Harry and Ron making my way to bed.

Early the next morning Hermione woke me up. "Ready for our first day?" I sighed sitting up slowly reaching for my robes. Right after breakfast Ron and Harry led Hermione and I to defence against the dark arts.

I sat beside Hermione staring at the desk, looking up only when Umbridge stormed in. She began speaking about our owls and how no magic would be used. It was textbook only. I sighed placing my head in my hands, and Harry spoke up. "No magic, how are we supposed to learn how to protect ourselves?" She smiled sweetly, "we will be learning defence risk free." Harry scoffed, "well if we're getting attacked I don't think it will be risk free." I stared at the woman waiting for her response. "And who do you imagine would want to attack children like yourselves?" Harry rolled his eyes, "I don't know maybe lord Voldemort." I opened my mouth shocked. "Let me make this quite clear you have been told a certain you know who is back, this is a lie." Harry shot back, "it's not a lie I saw him I fought him. So you're saying Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord." She shook her head, "Cedric Diggorys death was a tragic accident." I scoffed, "it's only been one day and you people won't shut up about him, you don't know what happened you insensitive bitch." Harry backed me up, "it was murder..." she silenced us, "enough, detention potter and Malfoy."

Hermione nudged me softly, "I'm sorry." After all my classes I met up with Harry together we went to our detention. When I saw her office I just about threw up, it was all pink, with cats everywhere. "You're going to be doing some lines." She handed us each our own quill. "Alyssa you will write I will not disrespect my professors." I did as she said flinching as the words began scarring into my hand. Harry gave me a small nod and I continued. The moment I was finished I stormed out, Harry was running to keep up. "We don't speak a word of this." He agreed holding open the common room door for me.