Chapter 49

Vanessa's POV

I looked at Maya wide-eyed. 

"Vanessa! You didn't tell me I had a grandchild!" my mom chimes in. She chuckled, probably taking Maya's words as a joke. 

"Mom, can we talk in my office?" I ask. She was going to found out soon enough. I just wasn't prepared for it to be this soon. My mom nods and follows behind me. Maya quickly ran off to play as soon as she made her big announcement. 

"Vanessa, is what the little girl said true?" my mom asks as soon as I closed the door behind me. She looked serious, almost impatient for my answer. 

"Yes, it's true. Before you ask, I will like to fill you in." It was better to just tell her everything.

"Go ahead, this better be a good explanation."

"I saw Maya a few months ago, she was out in the streets, selling fruits and all that. I felt pity for her, I grew so affectionate, I couldn't take my mind off her. I eventually became too close, I began learning about her real life. She lives in an abusive family, mom, just like I did. Slowly, but surely, I made it my goal to help her out of there. My plans did not include adopting her, that is if I win her custody next week," I say unsure. 

"Vanessa Lee!" my mom says sternly. 

"Yes, mom?"

"I'm so proud of you honey! I'm so excited! I have another grandchild I can spoil now!" my mom laughs with joy. I look at her, shocked out of my mind. I should've seen it coming, my mom could never stay serious. 

"You're not mad?" I wasn't sure if I should trust the emotions she was showing. She can also be a good actor.

"Of course not! Vanessa, if things aren't looking that promising, make sure to tell me. I will be glad to help you out, the lawyers that helped me win your custody still work for me. I'm sure you can save her from that abusive household," my mom shows her determination.

"Thanks, mom, I will keep that in mind, now let's go back before the children finish my cake," I joke. 

"Would you mind dancing with me, m'lady?" Asher asks once a slow song comes up. 

"You really took Cat Noir's line?" I chuckle. 

"In my defense, he's a lady's man, it's a cool line," he says as he leads me to dance. 

"You aren't wrong, sweetheart."

Asher places both of his hands on my hips while I rest mines around his neck. I was so thankful for having him, especially in these big decisions I was making. 

"What did your mom say?" Asher asks, referring to earlier in the night. 

"Nothing really, she was just curious as to how everything developed. What did everyone else say, when I wasn't here?"

"Well my mom was about to kill me, she thought it was our actual child or something. It wouldn't even make sense though, but it was the shock that didn't allow her to think straight. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind having a child with you," Asher confesses, I knew he was joking though.

"Better slow your horses, no way are we having a child," I quickly say. 

"I know, I was joking, maybe in a few years though, but it's all up to you."

"What's with you and children today? You never said this before," I ask him. 

"Nothing really, I just thought about it over the weekend. I saw how worried you got over Maya, you seemed like her actual mother, worried for her safety. Then, at the river, you looked after her, you watched every move she did, smiling whenever she was happy. Hyping her up whenever Maya did something impressive. Now, seeing Maya call you as her mom, something changed. I know we haven't been dating for long but damn, it made me feel like I was looking at my child, calling you 'mommy.'"