Chapter 50

(This chapter will hint abuse. Please don't read it if you aren't comfortable with it.)

Vanessa's POV

"Good morning to everyone seated in this courtroom. As you may know, we are here to discuss the parental rights of the gentleman standing at the right of me," the judges referred to Maya's dad. He looked rather confident, which wasn't a good sign.

"We are also here to discuss the adoption processes of the minor Maya to possibly Ms. Lee and Mr. Martinez," the judge states. I look at Asher surprised, did he plan on adopting Maya as well?

He smiles at me, before turning to look at the judge again.

"Let's start with Maya's biological father. Sir, are you informed that the two adults at your right are implying physical and mental abuse towards your daughter?"

"I do, which I'm so hurt to know they believe I would hurt my daughter. Maya is so special to me, I would never put her in danger," Maya's dad acts.

I look at him with a glare. How did he manage to act so good?

"I would like to believe you, sir, I don't think a father would hurt their own child. Do you have any proof to contradict these claims?" Maya's father just shakes his head, probably thinking we wouldn't have any evidence on our side.

"Let's move to Ms. Lee, would you like to speak, or do your representatives like to speak for you?" the judge asks. I already planned for my lawyers to speak, I was too nervous, I could mess things up.

"Your honor, Ms. Lee has decided for us to speak for her."

"Great, do you have anything to say regarding what Maya's father has said so far?"

"Yes, your honor. I would like to present to you the evidence accumulated by my two clients over the next few months," one of my lawyers proceeds to walk towards the judge. He hands him a couple of recordings.

I see Maya's father look rather worried. He probably didn't expect us to carry as much evidence my lawyers had. I wasn't too sure what those recordings included either.

The judge proceeds to play the recordings, some were voice memos, while some showed Maya's home. One of them included Maya telling Asher how her dad treated her. I felt my chest tighten as I hear Maya tell Asher how her dad yells at her.

"After hearing these recordings, it's not looking too good for you sir, what do you have to say about these?" the judge asks Maya's dad. Asher looks at Maya's dad with a glare, like if he was daring him to call Maya's pleading voice all lies.

"This is all false! These two just want Maya for their own benefit! You can even ask Maya, she will tell you how much I love her," Maya's father answers defensively. I wanted to punch the man that second, he was still resisting after what was shown. How dare he say I wanted Maya for my own benefit when he is the one who uses her for income.

"Bring the minor in," the judge sighs. I knew the judge was tired, it was obvious that Maya's dad was spitting lies. I wanted to avoid bringing her into the courtroom, but her father had to ruin things.

Maya walks in, looking curiously at her surroundings. The guard gently places her in one of the seats beside the judge. Maya made eye contact with her father, she looked alarmed. She still didn't notice us, since we were standing on the other side of the room.

"Hi, young lady, what's your name?" the judge asks Maya caringly.

"M-Maya!" she replies quickly.

"A smart girl we have here! I called you for a very important task today, do you think you could help me?" the judge asks her. Maya nods excitedly at the sound of that. Asher cracks another smile at how excited she looked.