28, The Side Of Life

"I'm gonna say this once."

"How about 'none-ce'" Stark replied.

Steve stood solemn, Haven on his right. The twins were behind them, looking between each other.

"Shut it down!" Steve shouted.

Stark shook his head. "Nope, not gonna happen."

"You don't know what you're doing."

"And you do?" Banner asked, looking at Wanda. "She's not in your head."

"I know you're angry-" Wanda started but Bruce cut her off.

"Oh, we're way past that. I could choke the life out of you and never change a shade." Banner hissed.

"Cool it," Haven said, stepping in front of the young witch.

Steve shook his head. "Banner, after everything that's happened-"

"It's nothing compared to what's coming!" Tony spat.

"You don't know what's in there!" Wanda shouted.

As the yelling and fussing continued, Pietro took matters into own his hands. He took off into a blurred dash, running around the room and unplugging everything he could find. "No, no. Go on. You were saying?" He said. Haven could hear his faltering breaths and sent a puff of air his way. He silently thanked her with his eyes.

A gunshot rang out and Pietro dropped, Wanda screamed but Steve held her back. Below, Clint stepped onto Pietro's leg to keep him still. "What? You didn't see that coming?"

"I'm rerouting the upload," Tony said, walking to a screen across the room.

Steve threw his shield, shattering everything in its path. Tony's iron had flown in and he blasted the Captain through a window.

Haven's eyes widened until her Sight took over. She could see Thor flying to the tower at full speed. Completely determined, completely set.

Her arms extended, fingers twisted as she held everyone to their places. "Stop!" She shouted.

Steve tried to move but he was stuck, she was keeping him frozen with the air around him. "What the hell are you doing?" He yelled, his anger now directed at her.

Thor busted through the window and Haven dropped her hold on everyone. Her uncle was covered in veins of lightning. He then used that energy and sent it straight into the cradle.

The room fell silent for two seconds before a red man blasted out of the cradle. He stood slowly, eyes wide as he looked around. No one moved, no one breathed.

His eyes landed on Thor and he was off, lunging forward. The god acted fast, twisting his arms and throwing the man through a window and into another room. Wait, Thor implied by holding his hand out to the team.

Everyone walked slowly and with caution into the other room. Steve stayed in front of Haven, still slightly angry at her, but wanting to protect her at all costs.

They all watched the man by the window, wanting to know what he would do next.

When his body rotated and he returned to the group, everyone seemed to tense up.

"I am sorry. That was... odd." He said, looking at Thor. "Thank you."

"You two helped create this?" Steve said, looking from Thor to Haven.

The blonde woman smiled softly. "Sooner or later, you'll learn that I do what he does. Only, with less masculinity."

Thor nodded. "I've had a vision. A whirlpool that sucks in all hope of life, and at its center is that." He said, pointing to the stone in Vision's head. "It's the Mind Stone. One of the six Infinity Stones. The greatest power in the universe, unparalleled in its destructive capabilities."

"Then why would you bring-" Steve started, but was interrupted by Haven.

"Because Stark is right." She said, finally understanding why her uncle did what he did. Thor nodded.

"Oh, it's definitely the end times." Banner replied.

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron," Haven said. "Not alone. Not by a long shot."

"Yes."

Steve turned to Vision with furrowed brows. "Why does your vision sound like Jarvis?"

"We reconfigured Jarvis's matrix to create something new," Tony answered.

"I think I've had my fill of new."

Vision nodded slowly. "You think I'm a child of Ultron. I'm not Ultron. I am not Jarvis. I am... I am."

"I looked in your head," Wanda started. "And saw annihilation."

"Look again."

Clint scoffs. "Her seal of approval means jack to me."

"Their powers, the horrors in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone," Thor said. "And they're nothing compared to what it can unleash. But with it on our side-"

"Is it? Are you?" Steve cut in, staring at Vision.

Vision looked around the group. "I don't think it's that simple. I am on the side of life. Ultron isn't. He will end it all. He's waiting for you in Sokovia. I don't want to kill Ultron. He's unique and he's in pain. But that pain will roll over the Earth. So, he must be destroyed. Every form he's built, every trace of his presence on the net. We have to act now. And not one of us can do it without the others. Maybe I am a monster. I don't think I'd know if I were one. I'm not what you are, and not what you intended. So, there may be no way to make you trust me. But we need to go."

The room fell silent as Vision and Thor walked out. Steve nodded, "three minutes. Get what you need."

-- -- --

Edited 6/17/21 23:41Word Count: 901

Word Count: 901

Re-Edited 8/29/21 11:51
Word Count: 911