33, Say Goodbye To The Past

Haven laid back against her headboard, eyes closed as she searched her mind. Everyone had gone off to bed about an hour ago and she had decided that it was a good time to go hunting.

She crept part the small crimes and pushed farther toward the more problematic ones. Like, for example, the growing power in the galaxy.

Haven knew Thor was going to investigate, but she also knew he couldn't handle it alone. Not by a long shot.

She pulled a Memory Orb from her mind, letting it dwell in her hands. She knew exactly what it was and it haunted her. The information she should've used months ago to stop all of this from happening.

"Hey..." started a voice as her bedroom door opened slowly. Steve took a small step before stopping, his eyes falling on the orb. "I'm sorry, I'll go back to-"

"No, come in." Haven interrupted, sitting up. "You're fine."

Steve nodded and walked in, sitting down beside her on the bed. "What's that?" He asked, recognizing it to be identical to the Memory Orbs she pulled from him about Bucky.

"It's one of my memories from a couple of months ago. It contains information pertaining to Thor's mission. I ignored it then, but now it's all I can think about."

Steve looked down at the Orb, watching its movements. It shined brightly, sparkling white and pastel blue. It veined and shimmered in the dark room. "Can I see it?"

Haven let out a breath, nodding. "It takes place right after the battle in New York, Loki was in the Asgardian dungeon and I snuck in to visit him."

Steve acknowledged her words and Haven pressed the Orb to his temple, allowing the pair to dive into the dungeons as well. They stood beside the previous Haven, looking at Loki.

"You should've known Frigga would get me in here." The younger blonde woman started, glancing around the room. "Why'd you do it?"

"There's a power out there, far stronger than any one of us could imagine. His name is Thanos, and he needed a little help." Loki replied, staring down at his daughter.

Young Haven gapped, "so you just volunteered yourself to the All-Powerful? What did you think would happen?"

Loki's eyes dropped, his feet carrying him over to the small couch and he took a seat. "I haven't the ability to feel regret, but I do feel remorse for the things in your life I am now forced to miss."

Young Haven looked around, noticing a guard walking towards them. With a huff, she smiled softly. "You really think I won't get you out of here?"

The pair came back into reality and Haven closed her palm, letting the Memory Orb disappear into her skin.

"You helped Loki escape from prison?" Steve asked, looking at her with wide eyes.

Haven chuckled, "so did Thor. We needed his unique set of abilities to save Asgard."

The blonde man nodded, "Thanos, huh?" She looked up at him, her eyes saying everything. "We'll wait for Thor to give a report. Until then, we won't get ahead of ourselves. If it's a true threat, it'll be here soon enough. Too many innocent lives will be lost if we try to win a war before it starts."

"Sounds like a plan, Captain." She replied, leaning her head on his shoulder.

Steve stayed quiet for a few minutes before reaching over and taking her hand in his. "Haven?"

"Yes?"

"I'm scared."

She sat up, looking at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Of what?"

Steve's eyes met hers, his beautiful blues clouded over. "I'm terrified of the way I feel for you. It's- it's strong and I don't know what to do. I've had feelings for people before, before the ice, before the serum. But this- this is different and I can't figure it out."

"You're scared of letting me in and losing me. You don't think you would be able to handle it."

His eyes went wide, giving a small nod. "How'd you know?"

"Because I feel the same way. It's normal, in this line of work at least. You are either going to give in to the fear and we can go on being coworkers, acting like none of it happened. Or you can trust that I can hold my own and have been fighting for myself for a very long time. I can do this." Haven started, placing her right hand on his jawline. "We can do this."

Steve nodded, taking a breath before closing the distance between them. His right hand found its way into her hair while his left gripped her waist.

His lips pressed to her with passion, their eyes fluttering closed.

Haven let him in, dropping her walls and giving into the kiss.

Steve kissed down her jaw before resting his head on her shoulder, wrapping both arms around her torso. Haven hugged him back, running her fingers lightly through his hair as he nuzzled into her neck.

They stayed this way for several minutes. Just holding, and being held. They needed the comfort of feeling someone there for them, feeling their skin touching skin.

Haven pulled back slightly, the pair of them laying back on the pillow. She rested her head on his torso, using his arm as a pillow as he gently played with her hair.

With his other hand resting on his abdomen, Haven reached up and grabbed it, noticing the coloring on his knuckles. Deep red gashes crowned by black and purple bruises. "What happened?" She asked, glancing up at him.

"I've been punching metal people for a week now." He replied with a smile, earning a nod and chuckle from his companion.

They laid quietly for a while, neither feeling the need to talk, only enjoying the feel of the other.

Haven took a breath, looking down at her hands as they intertwined with him. "I'm leaving in the morning. I'm going to Asgard. I can't call this place, or you, home until I say goodbye to the past."

Steve nodded, "I understand. Take all the time you need."

-- -- --

Edited 6/18/21 00:47Word Count: 1030

Word Count: 1030

Re-Edited 8/29/21 11:57
Word Count: 1040