44, Always Been That Person

The jet had cleared out a bit. Clint was dropped off with his family, Sam was dropped off with his sister, and Wanda and Vision were dropped off somewhere in Scotland.

Haven sat up, her blue jumpsuit still holding tight to her. Luckily, they had managed to get the neck brace off. She twisted her fingers, forming a tiny tornado in the palm of her hands.

"Where are we going?" Bucky asked, sitting across from her.

Haven looked up, closing her palm and letting the tiny storm disappear. She examined the battered soldier. He had cuts and bruises all over his face, but the thing that had caught her eye was his missing limb. Now, there were only wires and shards where his metal arm once was.

Steve glanced over his shoulder from the pilot's seat. "Natasha found us a cabin deep in the Australian forests. We should be hidden there. She said it's nice, there's a pond and tons of space. She gathered our belongings after the fight at the airport and flew straight there. After helping us escape, she's a fugitive now as well."

Haven took a deep breath, processing his words. The pond was genius. Water would be a tremendous help when it came to helping Bucky get his brain back.

The jet landed shortly after, sinking down under a tree line. Completely hidden.

Haven stood up, walking over and pressing her palm to the panel in the back. The door dropped down, landing in the grass.

They climbed out, closing the door and starting toward the cabin.

Haven took it all in. There was furniture on the patio, a cute walkway to the pond. The house was wooden with pastel yellow shudders and a big white door. Flowers bloomed in the garden and birds chirped in the trees.

It was such a sweet, calming scene.

"Welcome home, beautiful," Natasha said, opening the front door to greet them. Haven smiled, wrapping the redhead in a quick hug. They pulled apart and Nat continued. "There's four of us and three rooms so I put Steve and Haven together. Mine and Bucky's rooms are downstairs, but you two are up."

Steve nodded, hugging Nat. "Thanks again. For everything." He turned to Haven. "I'm going to get settled in, care to join?"

The blonde woman nodded, letting him take her hand and lead her up the stairs.

"Keep it down up there!" Natasha called after them.

In their room, Haven walked to the closet. "I'm gonna change." She said, grabbing an outfit.

Steve nodded, looking away from her out of respect. "It feels really weird, " he said, stepping into their bathroom and splashing water on his face. "Being here."

Haven pulled one of his t-shirts over her head. "What do you mean?" She glanced up at him, smiling as he kept his eyes averted.

He shrugged, grabbing a towel and drying his face. "I'm not used to sitting down, taking a minute to breathe. It's just weird that we can't jump up and fight anymore. We're criminals." His eyes looked into the mirror and he saw her, standing with her back to him and running a brush through her hair. "I never thought I'd be this person."

Haven turned, looking to find his eyes on hers through the mirror. "You did what you thought was right. Steve, you've always been that person. This is no different than signing up to let a German scientist experiment on you to protect your country. Just because this one ended with less praise and worship, doesn't mean it ended badly."

Steve stepped out of the kitchen, walking toward her. "You always know exactly what to say."

Haven shrugged, letting him snake his arms around her waist, pulling the baggy shirt tight around her form. "It's because I'm old."

He grinned, "I'm older."

She reached up, running her hands through his blonde hair. It had grown out, and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't loving it. Steve took matters into his own hands, leaning in and pressing his lips to hers.

Haven kissed him back, getting up on her tiptoes to reach him better. He chuckled, not breaking the kiss. His arms tightened on her waist and he lifted her up, making them eye level.

She laughed, letting her head fall into the crook of his neck as he carried them towards the bed. They fell, crashing into the mattress in a heap of laughter.

Steve laid beside her, pecking a kiss on the tip of her nose before resting his head on the pillows. Haven turned, laying on her side.

"How's the stuff with Thor?" He asked, his hands rubbing up and down on her bare thigh.

Haven took a breath. "Not good. I need to go, but I made a promise down here. I have to help Bucky before I sign up for anything else."

"I think Buck would-"

She cut him off, shaking her head. "No, he needs this. I can't keep making him wait. Tomorrow morning, we're starting. In a week, Bucky Barnes will be free."

-- -- --

Edited 6/18/21 20:15Word Count: 857

Word Count: 857

Re-Edited 8/29/21 12:23
Word Count: 867