36, No Victory At All

Haven stepped into Steve's room, sighing slightly. "There you are," she said, walking over and sitting down behind him on the bed. She rested her chin on his shoulder, wrapping her arms around his waist.

He gave a small hum of acknowledgment as he laced his fingers through hers, kissing the side of her head. His eyes, though, stayed glued to the tv.

"11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria earlier today. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred."

The screen switched to an older black man, his face pinched in anger. "Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all."

The female broadcaster nodded, coming back on screen. "The Wakandan king went on to-"

Haven had heard enough. She reached over, grabbing the remote and clicking the tv off.

Steve sighed, turning to face her. "I messed up. It's bad. I don't know-"

"Shh..." Haven said, shaking her head slowly. Letting out a breath, she reached her hand up and placed it on his cheek. "This is going to be okay. Yes, a mess was made. But we'll clean it up. Everything will work itself out eventually."

Steve nodded, closing the distance between them and connecting their lips.

The two shared a passionate kiss for a few seconds before Haven pulled away. "Now, Captain, you need to do your job. Go talk to Wanda. She needs you more than I do right now."

"You're right, " Steve replied, giving the blonde woman one last peck before retreating into the hallway.

Haven did the same, except instead of going to Wanda's room, she went into the living room.

"Hey, beautiful," Natasha said, lounging on the couch watching Criminal Minds. She turned it off upon her friend's arrival.

Haven sat down on the chair opposite her. "Hi, gorgeous." She said, repeating the lines they always greet each other with.

"Where's everyone else?" Nat asked, looking around the room.

"Steve is with Wanda." She said, having already known that. Then, she searched her mind for the others. "Sam is in the training center, Rhodey is at reception talking to Hill, and Vision just went into Wanda's room as well."

Natasha nodded, a smile forming on her lips. "You blow my mind with that shit, blondie."

"Hey, Vision said Tony was here, and he brought the Secretary of State," Steve said, stepping into the room. Vis and Wanda trailed behind him.

Natasha and Haven shared a glance before following the others. The group met with Tony in the hallway and he led them into the conference room where they all took seats. Equally confused expressions covered each face.

Once everyone was comfortable, Secretary Ross stepped up to the head of the table. "Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." He gestured as if he was playing golf. "Turns out it was the best round of my life because, after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never thought me. Perspective."

Haven glanced at Steve, each asking the other where this was going. Of course, neither knew.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while many people see you as heroes... there are some who would prefer the word, vigilantes."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, her voice cold as ice.

Secretary Ross nodded, "how about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

He takes a step to the side, turning on the screen behind him. It shows a large black and white map of the world before he clicks something and it zooms in.

"New York." He said, the screen showing monsters flying through the sky, civilians running and screaming, guns firing. Haven winced. That was her father's doing. Steve's hand grips hers under the table.

"Washington D.C." He said, the screen showing a building on fire and helicarriers crashing into the sea. She helped cause that.

"Sokovia." He said, the screen showing a massive rock floating miles above the surface, robots crawling around, and more innocent people crying.

"Lagos." He said, the screen showing a building with a hole in it, smoke pouring out, and tons of limp bodies lying around the scene.

Steve nodded, clenching his jaw. "Okay. That's enough."

Secretary Ross eyed the captain. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." He said grabbing a large book and handing it around the table. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve said, glaring up at the Secretary.

Ross nodded, "tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?"

"Yes," Haven said, startling the group. "My uncle has never been lost to me. Banner's location took time but I know his exact coordinates at every second now."

"And, Ms. Haven, do you intend on sharing such information with the group?" He asked, leaning down near her.

Haven shook her head, slowly. "No, I don't think I will." She whispered in his ear, pissing him off to an extreme.

"Withholding their locations could cost you-"

She cut him off, on the verge of standing up to face him properly. "Cost me my, what? I'll have you know, Mr. Secretary, that I don't work for you. Thor and Banner are fine. Their locations are irrelevant and will stay that way. I will not put them at risk by sharing such information with a large group of people. If they find themselves in danger, I will deal with it then. For now, I suggest you move on with the conversation."

Ross glared down at her, standing upright and walking slowly back to the head of the table where he collected himself again. "Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." He said, gesturing to the Sokovia Accords now in Rhodey's hands.

"So, there are contingencies?" Rhodey asked, running his palm over the paper.

Ross nodded. "Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over." He turned, making his way towards the door.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha said, peering up at him through long lashes.

"Then you retire."

-- -- --

Edited 6/18/21 09:59Word Count: 1201

Word Count: 1201

Re-Edited 8/29/21 12:05
Word Count: 1211