Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

(Aubrey's POV)

After finishing the lights, I told Kelsey I was going home. It was past 8:00 and I was beyond tired. It's so much work helping Kelsey but, I do it for the money and to help her out. Her days at work are long so she loves when I come and visit. Plus, that's a lot of work for one person to do. Of course she has other help, but Hudson and I are the only trustful ones and Hudson is leaving soon. I'm saving the money to fly back home to visit Zoella. A long time ago, it would have been money saved to go visit Niall but, things have changed. Anyway, I was 13. How could I have thought Niall and I would have lasted forever?

I unlocked my front door and stepped inside my little house. Kelsey and I live by ourselves. I keep telling Kelsey we need to move out into something with more space and I always get the same reply, "No, Aubrey. I'm not even home that much. This house is fine for us." It gets lonely though. Kelsey leaves for work at 6:30 in the morning on weekdays and Saturdays and doesn't arrive home until 9:30. She has off on Sundays but she always chooses to leave the house. I think she's scared of being alone. Even though I'm here, I think she needs a boyfriend.

Her last relationship was over 5 years ago and she broke up with him because she had to take care of me. I respect her for that, but needs to experience love again because she hasn't been the same. I'm not sure if she's stopped loving her ex, Lucas, or not but she definitely needs a boy.

I make myself some tea and sit outside on our porch swing. I start scrolling through Instagram and I come to one of Niall's pictures. It's of his T.V. with some soccer on it. I hesitate before liking it and I click on his profile. I scroll down, observing his feed and I start to wonder, does Niall ever miss me? Does he ever think of shooting me a text or calling me? Probably not. I sigh, and head back inside to get ready for bed.

(Niall's POV)

 Oh my God. I cannot stop thinking about her. Aubrey just like my photo on Instagram. How could she do this to me? She never calls me and she never texts me. She hasn't even made contact since that day when she went home. Of course I know some of what happened. My mom told me what she heard. I even showed up at her parents' funeral but Aubrey left as soon as she could. For being 13, I understand it's a lot to take in but, come on, I was her best friend. 

 "Mate, you okay?" I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Zayn.

"Yeah, I'm good." I slid my phone back into my pocket and I finished packing my suitcase for the tour. We board the plane at 10:30 tomorrow morning and fly to California, where our first concert takes place. We have 3 concerts in California, one in San Diego, one in LA, and one in Anaheim. I was zippering up my last bag or clothes, when Zayn came over and sat on my bed.

"Tell me about her." He says.

"About... who?" 

"About whoever you were just thinking about when you were on your phone."

I sighed and sat next to him, throwing my bag in the pile of my other suitcases. "It's just some girl I knew when I was little." I explained, unlocking my phone and scrolling up through my photos to find a picture of Aubrey. I kept one and it was a picture of us sleeping on my trampoline the summer we were 12. I showed Zayn.

"Oh, Aubrey."

"You know her?" I asked him, my eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, I remember you talking about her when we were on the X-Factor." He explained. "You showed me that exact picture. But, you never told me the story of what happened."

"It doesn't even matter anymore." My finger hovered over the trash button.

Zayn took my phone out of my hand. "Don't delete it, Niall. You'll regret it later I'm sure." I sighed and turned off my phone.

Zayn stood up and was about to leave when he turned around to say something. "You know, mate. It seems like you two were pretty close. Maybe it's time to reunite."

"I can't. She's-" Zayn cut me off.

"Niall. You can't stay mad at someone forever. You're blaming her for things and she's blaming you for the same things. That's not right. Figure it out. Make sure you clear things up. You don't have to become friends again. But, make sure you hold no unnecessary grudges toward each other."

"That's the problem, Zayn. She's the one holding a grudge with me and I didn't even do anything."

"Think of it this way, Niall. Aubrey was forced to do something she didn't want to do. Put yourself in her shoes and really think about it. And try to get some sleep, Ni." He said, walking out of my room.

I sighed. Maybe Zayn is right. Maybe it was too hard for Aubrey to face me after what had happened. But she didn't have to. I just wanted an explanation. I got no answer that night. I got no answer a week later. I got no answer a year later. And I still recieved no answer. Maybe she doesn't want to tie up loose ends with me. Maybe she has a boyfriend. Maybe she's happier now. I pulled on sweatpants and crawled into bed. I ended up finally falling asleep 2 hours later, after a lot of tossing and turning.