Prolouge

Prolouge:

(Aubrey's POV)

*7 years ago*

"No, Niall wait for me!" I screamed while running after my best friend. It's the last day of school and Niall asked me to race him home. "Niall you started without me. I wasn't ready," I whined.

"Come on, Aubrey! You're way faster than me anyway." He shouted back.

"Ughhhh." I dragged my book bag on the hard concrete sidewalk. By the time I reached the driveway of Niall's house, Niall was already standing by the fridge trying to decide what to eat for a snack.

"So many decisions, Aubrey." He looked at me with a foolish grin on his face.

"Well, choose one then, Ni." I say, while walking over to him.

"You mean I can't have everything in the fridge?" He joked. I punched him in the arm.

"You pig." I teased as he took out a package of cookies and started to dig in. He held out a cookie for me to take.

"Thanks," I say, as I bite in the chocolatey goodness.

"Sooooooo," He starts. "What are the plans for this summer?" Niall asks me.

"Hmm, I think I'm busy." I teased. "All summer long."

He laughed. "You? Busy?" I playfully hit him.

"Hey!" I said.

"Kidding, of course." He grabbed my hand and put it in his. "I hope you aren't busy. This summer is about you and me, Aub." He says. "It's you and me forever."

I smile. "Naubrey takes on summer!!!" I shout, as I walk outside to sit by the pool. Niall follows and takes a seat next to me.

"So, what do your parents have planned for this summer?" He asked, while shading his face from the sun.

"Uh, well, right now, they're flying to Australia for a few weeks. So, I'll be staying with Kelsey." I told him. His face crumpled up into a look of disgust.

"Ugh, Kelsey?" He asked, raising one eyebrow.

"Yes, Niall. I know you don't like her but, she is my sister." I sighed. Kelsey is 21. That means that she's 7 years older than me. Niall's never liked Kelsey because of the way Kelsey treated me. Kelsey always treated me like a baby and at the time, I was her "little baby sister", but not anymore. Kelsey lives in San Diego, California, but she always comes down to Ireland for the summer. I kicked some water and sent ripples throughout the whole pool.

"Why can't you just stay with me?" Niall asked.

"Because, I don't see Kelsey often and my parents like us to spend some 'sister time' together." I explained, putting quotation marks around the words, sister time.

Inside Niall's house, the telephone rang. Niall ran inside to get it. It was almost a minute before he came back out of the house with it, holding the phone out to me. I took it.

"Who is it?" I asked skeptically.

"Kelsey." Niall replied. "She said something about an accident with your parents."

Oh, no. Oh, no, No. No. No. No. I put the phone up to my ear,"Kelsey?" I took a breath. "It's me, Aubrey." I said nervously.

"Aub!!! You need to come home right now!" Kelsey sounded extremely scared.

"What happened?" I asked, getting nervous.

"Just come home as soon as possible! It's urgent." Kelsey sounded like she was on the verge of bursting into tears. I got so scared.

"I'll be there in two." I told her and shoved the phone into Niall's chest. "Gotta go." I told him, before running out of his backyard and on the way to my own house.

I arrived at my house shortly after and walked through the door to see Kelsey silently crying with her head on the table. I stood for what seemed like forever watching her chest rise and fall with the beat of her sobs. I ran over and hugged her,

"What happened?!" I asked.

"M-mum and dad," She managed in between sobs. "They g-got in an..."

"Kelsey... just breathe." I ordered. "What happened with mum and dad?" I asked cautiously.

"Their plane crashed." She said. My jaw dropped.

"What?" I said.

"You heard me." She looked at me apologetically then lowered her eyes on the floor.

"No. Oh, no, Kelsey." I said, on the verge of breaking down.

"Aubrey..." She started, but I was already half way upstairs to my room. I collapsed on my bed, silently crying to myself. This can't be happening to me. This cannot be happening. "Aubrey!" Kelsey shouted from downstairs. I heard her footsteps half-heartedly making their way up the stairs and down the hall to my room. "Aubrey, we need to leave. We need to pack our stuff and leave. We can't stay here. We just can't." She said. I was silent. Kelsey came over and hugged me.

"Why?" I sobbed into Kelsey's shoulder. She rubbed my back.

"It'll be okay, Aub." Kelsey reassured. "We'll be okay."

"No!" I shouted, standing up. "Why does everybody always say that? It won't be okay! You might be okay, but I for one, will not be okay. I'm  not even 14 yet, Kelsey! I can't grow up without Mum and Dad." I told her. "This can't be real, Kelsey. Please tell me you're joking." But I was out of luck. Because, this is real life and my parents are dead. "My parents are dead." I said, half to myself and half to the world. "Oh my God."

"Aubrey. Please pack your bags. We leave for California at 5:00 tomorrow morning." Kelsey looked sorry. But it isn't her fault. How could this happen to me? Me of all people? It just doesn't seem fair. Before leaving my room, Kelsey hugged me and whispered, "Remember, everything happens for a reason." That was a quote my dad always used to use.

I started shoving clothes one by one into a suitcase. I shoved all of my important belongings into another. The rest with be shipped to Kelsey's house in LA for us to decide which to keep and which to get rid of. I can barely keep my mind straight. My phone is vibrating every 2 seconds with texts from Niall. I can't answer them right now. I screamed and threw my phone against the wall and it fell to the floor, finally silent. I put on some sweatpants and a sweatshirt to sleep in and I sat on my bed. Tears streamed down my face as I thought of all the memories my family and I had. And the thought of all the memories with my parents that weren't ever going to be made, made my tears stream faster. I cried so hard I fell into a dreamless sleep repeating one thing over in my head; everything happens for a reason. Life is a beautiful lie and death is a painful truth.

Hey guys.. Hopefully, you're enjoying my new fanfic written by just me! Mel has one written by only her so you should check that out! Thank you so much for reading(: Love you all. XOXO, Olive.