Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

(Aubrey's POV)

*present time* (A/N, Aubrey is currently 19 and Kelsey is 29)

"Uh, I'll just take a Very Berry Hibiscus, please." I told the cashier at Starbucks.

"K. Can I have your name?" He asked, pulling a cup from the stack and uncapping a Sharpie marker.

"Aubrey." I told him. I held out my credit card. He scribbled my name in messy cursive and took my card.

"That'll be $4.05" He gave me my card back and I grabbed my drink. I pulled my phone out and sent Kelsey a text,

Aubrey: Running a little late. Be there in 10.

Kelsey: K. See u soon sissy!

I rolled my eyes at the 'sissy' part. I hated when she called me that. I walked out to the parking lot in front of Starbucks and got in my car to head to Kelsey's work. Kelsey worked at the Qualcomm Stadium. She was in charge of managing what bands performed there and how many seats/tickets are available for sale. Basically, she's seen every band from A-Z in this stadium. I always keep her company because since the accident, Kelsey and I have become each other's rocks. She's all I have now. My only other friend, Zoella, lives back in London, and I only see her every once in a while. I drove through downtown San Diego, California and parked in the back of the stadium next to my sister's car. I got out, grabbed my Starbucks and keys, and locked my car. I headed inside and walked past the dressing rooms to Kelsey's office.

I knocked and opened the door. "Hey Kels." I dropped my bag on her office floor and sat in a chair next to her.

"Hey, babe." She replied, eyes on her computer, fingers typing away.

"Any upcoming concerts?" I asked her.

She smiled. "Well, I do have a few. One of them being One Direction." She raised her eyebrows.

I threw my head back and groaned. "Oh, no." I said. "And let me guess, you need me back stage?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes." She looked at me apologetically. "I'm sorry, Aubrey. But, you're so good backstage and these newbies really need your help. I'll pay you double." She winked. "Plus," she shrugged. "You and Niall were so close back then, Aubs. Why don't you just make up for lost time?"

"That was six years ago." I looked down. "And we have no making up to do."

"What do you mean by that? I'm sure he would love to see you."

I sighed. "Because, Kelsey. Niall hates me now. I never answered his texts or calls and I never even said goodbye. But he gave up sooner then I thought he would. Forgot me and replaced me. He said forever, Kelsey. It's been nine years. All he did was lie."

"Whatever, Aubrey." She clicked a few things with her mouse and sent papers flying out of the printer. "Those are for you," She nodded towards the papers. I got up to grab them and skimmed them to get some info.

"K, so One Direction is performing in two days, and you're just telling me now?" I raised my eyebrows. "And, I need to here at 12:30 to manage dress rehearsal?"

"Aubrey, it's the same thing for every band but I was afraid to tell you in case you wimped out."

"Ugh, Kelsey." I whined.

"I didn't say you had to talk to them. Just avoid them. You've never even met the other boys before."

"Okay, okay. But just so you know, I'm only in it for the money."

"Atleast you're in it." She winked.

"Oh my gosh," I rolled my eyes. "What do you need done by today?"

"Oh! Go set up lights! The list of the type of lights for the set are in the papers. Good luck babe."

"Can't believe I'm doing this for you." I said walking out of her office.

"Shut the door on your way out!" I slammed the door and walked out to the stage. I heard footsteps behind me. I was pulling out boxes full of lights and film cover.

"Need any help?" A voice asked me. I turned around.

"Oh, hey Hudson." I smiled. "Sure. I'm just getting lights ready for the concert on Friday. You, know, the One Direction one." I explained and he took the boxes from me and started assembling everything. Hudson was Kelsey's assistant. This is his summer intern job. He's pretty decent. Hudson has chocolate brown hair and light green eyes. Not really my type but, he's super nice. I sat down next to him, covering the assembled lights with colored film.

"So, Kelsey told me you're working backstage for the big concert?"

"Yeah, I am. What did she assign you to do?"

"Mics and lights."

"Oh, that's fun. Where are you thinking of applying for a job once you're done here?"

"I actually have no clue." He sighed. "Maybe somewhere in New York. Like MSG."

"Oh, I love it there. I like the whole city feel. But, I love it here more. I could never live my life in NYC."

"Well  from the way I see it, NYC has a ton of options. I'll miss it here, but I deserve a new start and NYC is the place for me."

"I can see why. There's so much opportunity. Have you told Kelsey?"

"Not yet. What do you think she'll say?"

"Probably nothing bad. It's good to follow your dreams," I told him.

"Good," he smiled. "Now, Aubrey, what are your dreams?"

"Mine?" I asked. Hudson nodded. "Uh, I don't know. I mean, I had dreams but, they were washed away a long time ago. I don't dream anymore. I live in reality. I wish I could dream but I can't because sometimes they let you down. My dream was all a lie." I told him. "A beautiful lie, of course. But, reality is the truth of it all. And I tend to face the truth. No matter how tough." We sat in silence until Hudson said something.

"Interesting.." He trailed.

"So, do you know when you leave?"

"Yep. End of October. October 16th." He said.

"Dude! Hudson, that's in 13 days. Not even two weeks. You have to tell Kelsey soon." I told him.

He sighed. "I know," he stands up. "I'm going to right now. Thanks for the chat, Aubrey."

"See you, Hudson." I waved.

thanks for reading everyone! go check out our other stories. XOXO, Olive.