Chapter 17: A Demon's Contract

Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture, Japan

1962

It was the year's coldest night; the snow was whalebone-white and the battering gusts were awful. A man in his late twenties was on the verge of losing his sanity to the point of thinking of ending his own life. He stared at his fragile three-year-old daughter covered in a ragged blanket. She was sleeping peacefully but Daisuke knew how uncomfortable it was for her. He could have afforded a warmer home for her if he had a stable job. He could have saved his wife if he had enough money to send her to a hospital. He could only wish... It would have been nice if fate was kind enough to him.

What ifs started to flood his mind again. 'What if I did not marry Risa? What if I obeyed her family to stay away from her? What if we did not elope? She should have been still alive since she came from a well-known family. They wouldn't have disowned her if it wasn't for me. She should have been a famous ballerina by now. I was the reason why she did not pursue her dreams. Yeah, it was my fault. I killed her hopes and dreams. I killed her. I am a failure. I failed as a husband and a father.'

He smiled bitterly after his long silent sobs. He looked again at Sachiko for the last time, then reached for the rope on the wooden floor where he has been sitting on for a few hours. He moved a wooden chair at the very center of the small room and stood on top of it. He tied the rope around the crossbeam before the ceiling, then tested to check if it could carry his weight.

After setting up, he took a deep breath. "I'm sorry Sachiko. I can't take this anymore. I don't deserve to be your father." As he was about to lynch himself, a sinister voice suddenly disrupted his self-immolation. "Don't do it."

Daisuke froze and looked around nervously, "Who's there?" He asked while trembling in fear.

"Are you just going to accept your kismet as a big failure?" The deep voice asked, "You can do better than that."

Daisuke roamed his eyes around the small room but could not see anyone. The chilly night crept into his skin more making every strand stand out. He covered his ears, "Th-this is not true. Why am I hearing this? I must be crazy."

The uncanny voice chuckled, "You're still sane. You're not also dreaming." The voice echoed and seemed like it was coming from the four walls and the floor. It was in every corner of the room.

"Sh-Show yourself. Who are you?" He still managed to answer despite shaking from fear.

He fell out of balance and hit the wooden floor; butt first as he witnessed how a black figure emerged from the wall. It was a slender man in a black hooded cloak. He could not see his face clearly as the only source of light in the room was a faint lamp.

"I'm here to help you." He pulled down his hood revealing a handsome face. "I am Lucifer."

A/N: Lucifer's human form before Mina

Daisuke was shocked in horror. "You... You mean the devil, Lucifer?" He asked after a few seconds.