Chapter 9: Dahyun's Place

Chaeyoung's POV

"She's absent again." I murmured then let out a sigh as I slumped on my seat. Dahyun hasn't been attending classes for three consecutive days. I received a text from her yesterday telling me that she's sick. I wanted to visit her but I don't know where she lives. I asked the unnies but they also don't know her address, which I find weird. How come they don't know their friend's home? They also don't look worried at all and told me that she'll be fine. Maybe I'm just overthinking but I still want to check if she's doing okay. I don't actually know much about her. She doesn't talk about her family but told me that she's living alone independently. That's why I'm worried; there's no one to take care of her. She must be lonely.

I immediately rushed to the registrar's office after class. I know it's prohibited to ask for personal information but there's no other way. After 10 minutes of arguing and pleading, the registrar finally gave in and handed me a piece of paper with Dahyun's address. I thanked her and promised that I won't tell anyone about it.

I went to the cafeteria and bought chicken garlic and pesto pasta before driving my way to the address given to me. I started to doubt that the registrar has given me a fake address as I'm only seeing an endless line of tall Fir trees. The sun is about to set and it's creeping me out. I imagine those horror movies I've watched; the place is giving me the same vibe.

I suddenly remember the rumored vampire attack last Friday night. I heard that Mina unnie's classmate was the victim. Well, vampires do not really exist, right? I only read about them in fictional novels and watch them in movies. The bite mark could have been from a wild animal since there's a forest nearby.

I've been driving for an hour and it seems that my GPS is leading me to nowhere. I was about to give up when an old mansion came into view; that must be it. I continued to traverse the spine-chilling road until I made it in front of a huge rusty gate. I got out of the car and carried the food that I bought for Dahyun. I tried to contact her only to hear an automated voice telling me that the number is out of coverage area.

Should I go home? I sighed deeply and looked at the surrounding. I realized that I'm in a secluded area and I don't see other vehicles nor buildings and other structures. Is she really living here? I turned my gaze at the huge mansion behind the gate; looks like it has been abandoned for quite some time.

"Chae-Chaeyoung? What are you doing here?" I almost freaked out upon hearing a voice from behind. It was Dahyun; shock and confusion are evident on her face.

"Thank God, I found you. I was worried, that's why I decided to visit you. How are you feeling now?" I stepped closer to her.

"I'm fine now. I'm coming back to school tomorrow. How did you know where I live though?" She asked curiously.

"I got it from the registrar." I answered proudly.

"Really? Wow. What trick did you use to that strict ahjumma?" She chuckled.

"That's a secret." I winked.

"Wait, I can smell garlic." She covered her nose and turned to the plastic bag that I'm holding.

"That must be the chicken garlic I bought for you." I peeked inside the plastic bag.

"Oh, that's sweet of you but I'm allergic to garlic." She said, still covering her nose.

"What are you? A vampire?" I laughed.

She just looked at me, deadpan.

"I'm just kidding. I'll just eat this later then." I said then put it back inside my car. "The location of your house is spooky."