Shot 5

Day of Haldi,

"So Haldi is nothing but a facial for the wedding?" asked a twelve year old Kareena looking at her mother Geet who applied the mixture of turmeric oil and rosewater to the bride's face, hands and feet.

The ladies surrounding the bride chuckled at the question and Gayathri replied caressing the little girl's head "The mixture is believed to bless the couple before the wedding beta... the color is auspicious for a new beginning"

"Oh.. but I read on the internet that turmeric leaves the skin fair and glowing" she frowned.

"Children these days..." sighed Gayathri and looked at Geet in reproach "You give cell phones to kids her age? Padhai ka hoga satyanaash (her studies will be doomed) Geet... you should be more careful before handing gadjets to them"

"Sorry daadi ji ... she is a naughty kid... never listens to me or her dad... humesha phone rehta hai haath mein (she always has the phone with her)"

Gayathri just shook her head in disappointment before she turned to her grand daughter "Look Gauri... you should be careful of your kids in future"

"Aree... Gayathri ji... this is her haldi function... you are already lecturing her about kids" laughed Shalini one of the older guests.

"So what Shalini... she is getting married now... in no time she will be a mother... it is good to be prepared... don't you think so?" she said with a smile making the elder woman chuckle.

Gauri simply started at Gayathri with a look of disbelief... before she turned her gaze to Richa who was trying hard to control her laughter.

"Your next job is decided Gauri... 'mission children' it is" she quipped and Gauri sucked in a breath.

"But... I..." started Gauri when she was greeted by the new entrant.

"Gauri... you are looking cute" said Anika coming near her and congratulating her on the occasion, hugging her tight which Gauri returned.

Gayathri gave a formal smile to Anika pointing at the bowl filled with the yellow mixture and she smiled nodding before she applying the haldi on the bride's face.

The group of ladies began to discuss the origins and style of the modernly dressed guest in hushs and whispers.

"Gayathri ji?? Who is this girl? Gauri's friend from Mumbai?" asked one of the elderly women.

"No Hema..... she is Shivaay's fiancé... Gauri's in law family" answered Gayathri and the women looked the girl dressed in weird lehenga with cuts and cloth pieces hanging from sleeves, wearing heavy antique jewelry curiously.

Where did she get her clothes stitched? Probably the tailors there, rob the cloth piece to stitch other clothes scamming their customers.. how else can the choli be too short and the sleeves be cut open at various places.... the lehenga in complete contrast to the choli and not at all in sync with the jewelry... they mused.

"Gauri... go and rest in your room for now.. take your friends with you... I will make arrangements for the dinner" instructed Gayathri before leaving the place with the women lot and the girls nodded a yes.

***********************************************************************

Sometime later,

Anika settled beside Gauri and Richa, looking around her room. She reached the place last night on her personal chopper that her father arranged for her. She had attended parties aa well as weddings abroad and in the cities but a village wedding with age old customs is a new experience she wouldn't have missed for anything.. especially when it is her best friend's marriage.