Shot 24

A few days later,

Gauri sat stunned in one of the waiting chairs of the hospital, looking at the medical report in her hand. Pregnancy report positive... it said.

She could barely register her sister in law Anika and her daadi saas Kalyani jumping and cheering at the good news hugging her from either sides.

She has been feeling nauseous since a few weeks which worsened in the last few days. Kalyani noticed her stumbling her way into the kitchen the previous morning and quickly held her stopping her fall. Post the incident, the elder woman asked a few questions and the next she knew, she was in the hospital with Anika accompanying the duo.

When Kalyani put forth her most probable diagnosis, Gauri just laughed it off shaking her head in a no. She did not consider the probability, since she knew they always took precautions... They were not planning to have kids anytime soon. But today, when she returned to the hospital and the reports were handed over to them, she understood her daadi saas was right all along.

"Gauri...puttar... I haven't heard such a good news in an exceedingly long time... thank you so much beta... Om would be so happy" she said still hugging her granddaughter in law and placing a loving kiss on her head.

"Khidkitood news Gauri... Let me inform Shivaay" Anika said to no one in particular, taking out her cell phone when Kalyani snatched it away.

"Shhh... Anika... Omkara should be the first one to know.. he will return from the business trip this afternoon... let her tell him first then everyone can know" she said and Anika pouted.

"I am bad at handling secrets daadi... what if I blurt it out? Shivaay will call now to know if everything is fine with Gauri"

"As if you did not lie to him before... tell him something... dare you slip it to anyone before Om knows" she warned and Anika gulped making an action of zipping her mouth close.

"Gauri... come we need to meet the doctor" said Anika.

"Gauri!!" Kalyani called a bit louder when she looked zooned out.

"What happened are you alright?"

"Huh?... Yeah Daadi ji" Gauri mumbled with a smile which did not reach her eyes.

Taking it as nervousness and anxiety, Kalyani assured her that things will go smoothly and that she has her whole family to take care of her during the time of gestation.

Gauri numbly nodded her head before getting up and walking into the cabin of the hospital's gynaecologist.

************************************************************************

As expected Omkara returned to the mansion in the late afternoon but he soon became busy having had to attend a few more video conference calls. So, the breaking news had to wait till the night when he finally settled on his bed, though he still rummaged through the files in his room.

"Go... and tell him" Kalyani whispered pushing Gauri inside the room while she and Anika stayed at the room entrance.

Gauri looked at her husband seriously studying the files with a pen ready in hand. She gave a glance again in the direction her daadi ji and sister in law who gestured her to move forward with their plan.

Clearing her throat loudly to get his attention, she called him

"mmm... Omkaraji"

"Hmmm"

"Do you think I have gained weight?" she asked trying to keep her tone casual.

"No" he replied not even looking her side and she sighed.