5.

After the incident in English I've been hell bent on ignoring River. He's messing with my head. Before I was perfectly fine with blending in with the pain and trying to go on unnoticed but now he has girls looking at me with sharper eyes than usual. This time they have reasons to hate me.

Every girl River likes or shows extra interest to, ends up the butt of some cruel joke caused by the female population.

I wasn't prepared.

I stood over the sink in the locked handicap bathroom. I was trying to calm my ill nerves before the warning bell went off. I felt sick.

Why me? Why was River Dallas so interested in me?

I heard a soft knock at the door. I swallowed deeply and took a breath before answering. "O-one second."

I fixed my bun and straightened my sweater before I walked to the door and turned the knob expecting to walk out and go unnoticed.

"Hey there freak." I swallowed nervously as he pushed the door open and walked in with me closing it behind him. The sadistic smile he was wearing on his lips made me quiver back in fear. He looked at me like I was a piece of meat.

"L-Luke."

"Joe." He said smirking as he stepped closer to me.

"I-I was just l-leaving." I took a step toward the door then suddenly I was thrown against the wall with his body flush against mine.

"Stop." he said rubbing my face when he saw me panicking. "Shhh."

"P-please." I begged him feeling tears prick my eyes.

"I've always liked you Joe."

He was lying.

"Please get off." I sobbed trying to push him. He took a look at my watery eyes then adjusted his uniform.

"Ah damn Joe. You weren't supposed to cry. It was a joke. There are girls out there with cameras trying to set you up." He rubbed his face nervously when he saw I wasn't anywhere near okay.

I tried to dry my eyes and calm myself but it wasn't working. The room was getting smaller and my breath was coming out in pants.

"Fuck!" He swore going to the door. "I'll get someone to help you." He ran. He ran away. He left me. The room was spinning and I couldn't breathe. I felt the warm tears falling down to my mouth and my head was pounding. I was drowning. I couldn't stop the pain. Everything was turning black. I couldn't feel my body.

"Shhh. Breathe Joe." I listened to the voice that was soothing me then felt a soft hand at the small of my back.

"I'm going to fucking kill you Luke." The voice threatened.

"I didn't know. Chloe said she'd just get scared."

"Yeah well my sister is a fucking idiot. No more messing with Joe. Got it?"

"Alright bro. I'm sorry."

"You'll tell her that...if I can ever get her back to normal."

He made a noise that sounded like a snort before he mumbled something incoherent.

"Feel better?" He asked. I nodded with my eyes still covered.

"Open your eyes Joe." I did as he asked and gasped when I saw him. My little brother. He smiled back at me.

"Charlie?" I whispered looking at him as I blinked back tears. He enveloped me into a hug.

"It's okay. I won't let it happen again Joey. No more okay?" I nodded into baby brother's arms.

He wouldn't let them hurt me anymore.

**

I had found out later that day when we went home by "them" he only met out school peers. He still tormented me along with Chloe but at least he showed sorrow and remorse.

I was in my room long after school had ended typing my paper for government class when something hard hit my window. I ignored it at first just looking at it oddly before I heard it again.

I walked over to it and opened it (at the wrong time) causing a rock to hit me in the head. I cried out in pain as I grabbed my forehead with my hand.

"Dammit Joey. That wasn't supposed to happen. In the movies it always is timed so perfectly." He yelled up holding a tan hand to his head as if it would help him see better.

"What do you want River?" I asked growing impatient.

"I want to talk." He said confused like it was the most simple thing in the world.

"I don't want to talk to you." I looked out to the sky.

"Why not Joe?"

I felt the urge to correct him but I chose against it.

Because I was sexually assaulted because of you.

Because life was getting better before you.

Instead of telling the truth I shrugged. "I-I'm tired. I'll see you at school." I didn't even wait to hear him out before I closed my window and shut off my light.

I will not let him ruin my progress. I won't become Joe the charity case again.

What happened with Luke was a prank because of River that could've ended way worse. I wouldn't let it. Not again.