16.

I was hellbent on ignoring Leslie. He saw me in the hall and shot me regretful glances. Carter was even acting sorrowful herself. I didn't care. They can act sad and regretful all they want but I know the truth. Leslie had been acting wierd for weeks. He was constantly breathing down my neck everytime I complained about Chloe and especially whenever I praised River. He was...he was...being wierd.

"Good morning!" Chirped a rather handsome, blonde haired boy beside me. I recognized him as River's friend Seth.

"H-hello." I said eyeing him wierdly. Why on earth was he speaking to me?

He strecthed his arm awkwardly as an attempt to wrap his arm around me but I sidestepped looking at him horrified.

"I know you're probably thinking "why the hell is this guy talking to me"."

I felt my cheeks burn, "Not exactly."

"Hmm, for someone who hangs around River a lot you sure can't lie. Im hurt." he said covering his chest in pretend agony.

"But I've come to send you an invitation to my small get together this Saturday- tomorrow. I know such harsh timing, but I was depending on River to invite you, but of course he's a man of few wanted words..." he looked around as if he didn't want to be heard. "You're bitch of a sister is not on the guest list. However, Charles can accompany you. My friend Kyle- Kylie is expecting him to...attend." he flashed me a fake smile as he pulled out a card covered in fancy black scribble. "It's the biggest house once you turn...I'm not very modest."

I went to turn down his offer but when I turned to face him, he was gone.

I furrowed my eyebrows wanting nothing more than to scream. This was unfair.

**

"I don't like parties." I grumbled looking through the clothing rack.

"Well lucky for you, I do." I ignored my rather optimistic friend as I searched through the black dresses. This is cute...

"What are you shopping for funeral clothes?" Carter said snatching the long fabric out of my hands. "This is not something you wear to Seth's Parties."

"It's a small gathering." I clarified trying to take back the elegant garment.

"No offense but get your head out of your ass Joe. That's clear teenage code for "Full Blown Drunken House Party"." I ignored her and gave up my attempt at trying to get the dress back. I huffed as I went back to the rack.

"Enough with the blacks." she sighed pulling me away. I pouted but nonetheless followed.

"I like black." I defended.

"No youre use to black. Let's try pink." I groaned.

"I hate pink."

"Lucky for you I love it."

I rolled my eyes for about the thousandth time today. I was starting to think "Lucky for you" really meant "Lucky for me".

After what felt like an eternity she found a dress that I actually complimented. "That's not bad." I stood from my comfortable seat on the footstool I dragged from the shoe side of the store and grabbed it from her hands.

"It's actually a Joe Mitchell dress." she said sighing. "Try it on."

The dress was babydoll pink. It was long, covering my toes. The bodice was tight with jewels lining the scoop neck of it all down the center which was a lighter, transparent, pink.

"Okay." Carter said beaming as she burst into the changing room. "I like it. You look hot."

"Pr-privacy?" I asked blushing. No one had ever called me "hot". I was rarely ever complimented. Unless it was by Caroline.

"Come on. We need to find some heels." She turned away.

"Wait." I called looking at the dress.

"What?" She asked turning around to watch me.

"Sandals. I can't dance in heels." I smiled.

She seemed shocked but she returned the smile and nodded.

I was gonna have fun. If I can't beat them, join them right?