8.

"I-I am not your girlfriend!" I said turning to River.

He rolled his eyes at me and grumbled in his seat. "Not at the moment."

"N-never." I turned to Mrs.Dallas. "I'm sorry there's b-been a mistake. Y-you have to cancel this." I looked down at my shoes anticipating her scowl and look of disappointment.

"Heavens no Joe! You're coming out with us anyway. River really wanted you to be present tonight."

I wanted to sock him in the face for pulling this. He's a little liar! How could he lie to his parents like that? Why would playboy River Dallas pretend that I was girlfriend?

Wait. Did he say not at the moment? I turned in my seat to look at him with his face pressed tightly against the window pouting. He looked like a five year old boy and I wanted to laugh but instead I turned to his mom.

"Okay."

**

"River you should s-stop drinking." I pleaded looking around the restaurant. Turns out Mr.Dallas invited a lot more friends when Caroline spilled the beans. This turned into a full blown schmooze party and if someone hated it more than me, it was River.

He pulled his arm away from me and scowled. "I'm fine. I'm not drunk."

I turned away from him and sat down. If he wants to drown his kidneys in wine and vodka, let him. He can be so stupid at times.

"Joe," I heard him call minutes later. I ignored him. Just like he ignored my heeds to stop losing himself in his glass. See if I care!

"Joe." He called softer. Again I ignored him. I even huffed and relaxed in my seat a little to keep the dice rolling.

"Damn you," he spent my chair fast making me come face to face with him. "Jolie." He pronounced slowly.

"Yes River?" I said innocently.

"Have a drink with me."

"I do not drink." I said scowling.

"Please."

"Fine." I stood to the bar and waited for the bartender. "Two lemonades please."

"Jolie Mitchell. I am not a kid." He grumbled picking me up and moving me aside.

"Two shots of Hennessy." he looked at me then frowned, "keep one of those lemonades."

"Are you even 18?" The bartender said smirking. River returned it but his screamed superiority.

"No but I'm River Dallas." The bartenders face fell but he nodded and prepared River's order.

"So Jolie. I want to talk to you." He said turning to me and sitting down. I followed suit.

"About what?" I asked eyeing him suspiciously.

"About us,"

I opened my mouth to tell him that there's is not will there ever be, an us but I never got the chance to I was so overcome with sudden shock and confusion.

"Being friends." He finished grinning a genuine smile that reached his eyes. He offered me a soft hand and I frowned at it.

"Joey! Come on." I smiled at his nickname for me but shook my head. "Friends aren't mean to friends."

"You were mean to me that first day."

"Your drinks." The bartender said with a forces smile. River pushed them toward him slightly and nodded. He didn't drink them yet but he looked at me.

"Technically we were strangers not friends."

"We still are." I countered raising an eyebrow.

"Hmm fiesty." he said smirking. "Didn't know you had it in you."

"You don't know a lot about me." I said returning his look. The same thing that happened in the car on his way to his house happened here. He gave me a boyish grin and grabbed the shots. He offered me one and I declined.

"If you don't accept my offer than at least accept my drink," he said looking sorrowful. I wanted to reach out and apologize for hurting his feelings but I did a thing one step better. I reached out my arm and tipped the shot glass into my mouth. I didn't gag at the sudden exposure to liquor instead I invited it,loving how it made me feel...strong.

"I want another." I said smirking at the bartender. River touched my hand slightly looking between and the bartender.

"Take it easy Joe. It's your first time." He was looking at me with concern.

I wasn't even control of my mouth anymore. "Friends don't hold friends back River." He smiled that lovely grin then approved of ordering a whole round. I smiled at him And he smiled at me and for once...I wasn't the nobody Joe with anxiety issues who needed to be perfect. I wasn't Joe that fucked up. I wasn't the Joe who was hated by her family but secretly liked by her brother.

No, ️tonight I was Jolie Mitchell. River Dallas' friend.

And I enjoyed every bit of his company.