24.

The Dallas' house looked fantasic. I stayed by my family for a while taking in all the smiles and ignoring the glances of confusion...somethings will never change. I noticed how stiff Charlie got when he saw Kyle across the room they exchanged a look and Kyle nodded toward the room toward the back of the house. I smiled looking around the house...it was so beautiful. For once I actually felt like I was accepted, even if the people here didn't accept me.

"Jolie Mitchell!" I turned to see Roger and Caroline in their beautiful white attire. "You look like a million dollars Joe." I felt myself smile at Roger's outgoing personality and blunt tongue.

"Thank you." I said proud.

"Effortless beauty." Caroline said touching my cheek. If only she knew what I'd gone through. "Always better than the "I tried so hard to get my lipstick like this" girls." she said slyly eyeing Chloe who looked like she was on fire.

"Have you seen Tamala?" Chloe asked smirking at me.

"Tamala was with her date, River's older brother, Paul is in town with his fiancee and she brought her brother along, Michael. If you see River,you'll see Tamala." Caroline said smiling. I watched as Chloe's face dropped.

"I didn't even know he had a brother." I confessed.

"Paul and the family had some issues up until recently. But now he's moving back and I couldn't be happier, River is too Joe. He's looking for you." I nodded and smiled at Chloe then at my family.

"Excuse me." I said politely. I followed Roger around the house until he walked up the stairs to a door where no one was. "My son has never been so...happy." he said suddenly stopping. "Not since..."

"Justin." I finished for him.

He looked at me in shock. "He told you about Justin?" I nodded. He smiled at me.

"I knew he would eventually, I just didn't know when. I'm so glad." The door behind us opened at I gasped. His hair was gelled like the day of our "date" when he lied and said I was his girlfriend. He was wearing a gold, silk undershirt with a pure white overcoat and matching white jeans. I looked at the golden H on his belt and the nice golden watch on his wrist. He had really went out of the way tonight. I felt small under his gaze. It seemed so...

"Beautiful." he murmured staring at me. I smiled at him and walked around Roger to hug him. "Happy birthday." I whispered.

"I'll be going." Roger excused himself and River opened the door wider allowing me room to enter. Inside was a man who looked like he was a little older than River. I gasped when he turned around.

"You!" I accused frowning.

"Joe I was young and stupid!" he said surrending his arms.

"You used my sister." I said scowling.

"I did and I am sorry...more to you than her though."

"She got pregnant, and she's still hung up on you!" I defended.

"I- I didn't know that."

"She was young and a kid. She didn't know what she was doing was wrong, but you did and because of you she's evil now, you ruined her."

"Babe. It's okay." I felt River tugging on my waist and I nodded remembering why I was here in the first place.. It was his brithday.

"Yeah." I nodded turning to face him.

"Why do you still protect her?" Charlie asked suddenly appearing at the door with Kyle behind him.

"She's my little sister." I said frowning. "I'd do it for you."

"And I would too-

"Would you really?" I asked cutting him off. "All those times Chloe has sat there and abused me verbally and physically, you watched, and you knew one wrong response to her and I'd be back to Havenwyk. Don't tell me that you would do that for me...because you wouldn't neither one of you would!"

"I took a beating from Luke for you, I offered to cover for you with mom so you could go out with River, I even risked mom finding out-

"She won't send you any Charlie! Her social chums love you too much. Chloe's just using that as a scare tactic. Dad won't let you guys get shipped off. She'll have to deal with it."

"Hey!" I turned to the voice that had just cut us off. Jesse. "This is River's party and this drama will have to continue to tomorrow. Kay?" We all mumbled a yes to her and I turned to River and gave him an apologetic smile but he waved me off.

"Finally." he said taking my hand as we walked out.

"What?" I asked looking up at him.

"I can do this without worrying about if Chloe's gonna tell." And with that he kissed me...in front of my mom, Chloe and Tamala.