22. (Chloe)

It had been a week after our conversation. We kept a low profile in school of course and I was starting to think Chloe had lost interest in us. She had been spending more time talking to Leslie than usual and seeing how we had that fight, I knew I couldn't trust him. I knew Carter still felt he was her best friend but if I told her more about River and I, she had to promise not to tell Leslie. How could I be sure he wasn't running back and telling Chloe.

"I hardly saw you at my party." I turned to see Seth behind me laughing. "I heard my friend whisked you away." I nodded smiling.

"It was nice." I complimented.

"I'm having another next Saturday. It'll be after the huge schmooze fest at the Dallas house."

Dallas house?

"For River's birthday." he said looking at me. I blushed furiously. How could I have forgotten? It's this Saturday. I still haven't bought an outfit or a gift for him.

"Come with me after school today. I'll help you. I'll even have my brother come along."

"Who's your brother?" I asked dumbly.

"Kyle." he said as if it were obvious.

"Oh duh." I said face palming. "How'd I miss that?"

"Because you're innocent Joe Mitchell. Your brain isn't as sneaky as ours." I suppose it did make sense. Kyle and Kylie were twins. Charlie was always at Seth's house for "Kylie." It was fool proof...but it was not Chloe proof.

After talking to Seth I went about my classes. "Long time no chit chat." I smiled at River as he took his seat next to me.

"I know. I've missed your wit and lame comebacks." I teased pulling out my notebook.

"Lame comebacks?" he scoffed. "I have you know, I'm the best at comebacks!"

I snorted.

"Did you snort?" he asked laughing. I nodded unashamed.

"I did."

"My type of girl." And of course I blushed. River had this way of saying the most simplest thing and making me feel like I was the most special girl alive.

I felt a hand tugging on my bun and I turned to River who was paying attention to the lecture, I frowned and looked behind me but everyone was paying close attention the lecture as well. I turned my attention back to the board when I felt it again. This time when I turned around I saw RIver trying desperately to contain his laughter.

"Stop."I mumbled wacking him as I fixed my bun. This time he grabbed my wrist and pulled my eleastic out letting my hair fall over my face.

"River!" He took my elastic and put it on his wrist.

"No more buns for you." I turned to my purse and pulled out on extra.

"Always carry a spare." I sng mocking him as I put ti back up, much to his displeasure.

English went by really fast today, much to my dismay. I would be at lunch alone again today because of Carter and Leslie's overachieving student council bull.

"Come to lunch with us." River said following my gaze to my empty table. I shrugged and turned on my heel to follow him. I saw Chloe walking toward us.

"I'll meet you in the car." I said nodding toward her.

"I'm really getting sick of her." he said pouting. "Can't I just run her over?"

I laughed loudly. "No. Now scat before I end up being shipped off." River didn't laugh, instead he eyed me with seriousness.

"Don't play about that. You won't end up there." I nodded feeling extremely guilty as he walked away without a second glance.