11.

It had been weeks since the "incident" happened. I had been a wreck. My anxiety was at an all time high and my mom was breathing down my neck now more than ever. My life was hectic.

I fixed my bow tie and walked away from the mirror after spending many minutes fixing my bun. I grabbed my car keys and stopped a Starbucks grabbing a coffee before walking into school and answering my friends' questions. I knew they had tons.

"Good morning."

"Morning." I grumbled.

"How are you?"

"What do you want Leslie?"

"To know how you are?"

"Good."

"No seriously."

"No," I said turning to look him in the eye. "I'm fine."

"You're lying."

"Leave me alone." I grumbled feeling suddenly overwhelmed as I made my way to homeroom.

I ignored River's attempts to speak to me like I do everyday. It was getting old. I hated him. He took my first kiss while I was drunk then admitted that he was ashamed of it so for that, I hate him.

Carter thought I was overreacting and I should hear him out. I didn't see the point. Now my life can slowly but surely revert back to improving as it was before.

I took a deep breath as I took my pencils out and arranged them by size. I sat attentive waiting for the teacher to begin instruction.

It was taking forever.

"Hey, can I talk to you." I flinched away from his arm and shook my head.

"Please Joe."

"L-Luke. Class is st-starting." I wanted his hand off of my shoulder. I wanted him to back away from me and leave me alone. He should never touch me. He should never ever come by me.

"Joe. I'm sorry. Okay? River hates me for doing that for Chloe and Tamala. I can't sleep. I feel like a rapist...like a monster. Please just forgive me."

I took a look at his sorrowful and regretful face. I instantly felt bad for him. Yes. I felt bad for the guy who made me have a panic attack. The guy who stopped. I was lucky it was Luke who they asked. Someone who would stop when he saw the discomfort I was in. Someone who wouldn't go through with the sinister plan.

My sister. My old best friend. She set me up. I no longer felt idle and forgetful when it came to Chloe I didn't feel sorry for being sent away. Instead I returned her hate.

I hated her.

"I forgive you." I whispered looking away from him. He went to hug me but I put my hands up instinctively.

"Don't ever touch her again." Charlie says grabbing the back of his black blazer.

"I was apologizing"-

"I don't care." Charlie looked like he could kill. I couldn't bring myself to interfere. Not when Luke turned his sorrowful glance into one of anger. Not when Charlie pushed him. Not even when the first punch was thrown. Nor when they came closer to me. And knocked me out of my chair. Not when they were about to fall on me. Not when I started to get hit.

But River did.

"Joe!" He came and pushed the angry boys who weren't stopping for the teacher who was half of my size trying break It up. They were putting on a show for the class who was cheering for them. It was sick.River scooped me in his arms guarding me from everyone. He looked me over and frowned before he grabbed Luke by the back of his shirt and away from my brother who could've been foaming at the mouth. "Chill out." River seethed.

I don't know if it was the deathly tone River used or the fact that those were the only two words he'd spoken to Luke in weeks that made him stop but I'm grateful. I looked at my baby brother who sported a fat lip and a bruising eye with remorse. This was my fault.

He got beat up because of me. Just wait til Chloe finds out.

***

Most of Charlie's hits, hit me. No wonder Luke walked away barely hit. I winced when touched my temple.

"Ow." I mumbled swatting him away. I didn't want him around me.

"Jolie. Please."

"River no." I said standing.

"Why? You're hurt." he spat angrily making me cower away.

"I-I can fix it up myself."

"No. Let me." He said grabbing my wrist. "It'll be a second."

"N-no." I said snatching my wrist away.

"Why are you so damn stubborn?" I didn't answer him. Instead I opened the door of the empty class and walked away. He followed me.

"Why are you leaving?" He pressed stomping loudly after me. "Why?"

I turned on my heel making a screeching sound. "Because you hurt my feelings!" I yelled at him. "Because you make me a joke. You make fun of me and you humiliate for your amusement. You treat me like a toy."

His face softened and he walked toward me. "I'm sorry but you won't let me explain."

"Explain what? How I'm plain old Joe. She won't ever be Chloe. She'll always be peculiar and picky and "OCD". She'll always have to check the locks twice before she can put her key away. She'll always turn her lock three times to the left before she can put in her combination. She can only use the shortest pencil on her desk in English because it's the only one that helps her dot her I's perfectly. And if I let you see that you'll always use it against me. Yeah I stutter and I like things neat but I'm not a toy."

I took a deep breath and ignored the tears that flew from their ducts like confederate soldiers after defeat. I felt a wave lift from me. I stared at River seeing him process my words but when he didn't speak I knew he had nothing more for me.

"Bye River." I croaked as I walked out of the classroom. I bumped into a hard figure. "I'm sorry." I mumbled looking up.

Chloe. I rolled my eyes at her glare. "Can't you do anything right?"

"Can you please leave me alone?" I sobbed angrily. "I get it. You hate me. I really get it but do you have to be such a bitch all the time?" I shoved her with my shoulder and walked past her and cleaned my makeup and tidied my hair in the bathroom as I prepared for the rest of my day.

I knew it was gonna be eventful.