38.

I looked at my Glam crew in outrage. " You two are late!" I accused.

"We needed inspiration." They said waving me off. I looked appalled as I was seated into my own chair with enough force to break my hip. "Nude and natural. With a bold blue lip." She whispered to him.

"Blue lip?" I asked cringing. "Cant I do a blue eye and nude lip?"

I felt something hit my mouth and I winced in pain. "Shh girl. We are working. Not you." I shut up and sat there nursing my lip until I felt my hair being brushed up and snatched with precision. My entire face was being delicately painted and I sat there for what felt like hours on end until I was handed the beautiful blue garment. I smiled as I stepped into the tight two piece that shaped my every curve perfectly. I put on the sparkly heels and the bracelet River had given me only weeks prior. When the mirror turned to me I was speechless. The bold blue lip was no where in sight, instead it was replaced with a natural bubble gum pink lip and a bold cat eye with blue eyeshadow blended on top. The navy blue Versace dress fit like a glove. I looked elegant and sexy. It was a new look for me and I felt comfortable in it.

"Your date is here." Mitch said reaching for my hand and I suddenly felt exposed and nervous. I had no idea what he was wearing. What if we didn't match? What if I fell? What if I ripped my dress?

"Stop worrying Joliet." I had told Kris my name about a dozen times but she though Joliet fit me so who was I to judge. Her usually strict face was contorted into a flawless smile. She was urging me to walk down the staircase. And in that moment. I knew I could do it.

I couldn't describe the feeling I felt when I saw River standing there. It was a mixture of happiness and euphoria. It was addictive and I didn't think I could ever get enough. He looked up at me unblinking with an awe struck look. He had on a Versace suit coat over top a navy blue vest on top of all black pants and undershirt. He looked undeniably sexy and grown up and I wanted nothing more than to stake my claim. This boy was mine. It was still a foreign concept to me.

"You look beautiful." He said smiling at me.

"You look...wow."

He smirked. "I clean up nice." He admitted. He opened the case with my corsage inside and slid it on my wrist.

"A white rose. I love it." I exclaimed smiling. I struggled pinning him for about two minutes until Caroline stepped up and helped me. "Thank you." I said honestly.

After about thirty minutes of posing for pictures I was exhausted and ready to leave. River must've read my mind because without a second thought he checked his watch and excused us from my house. My father handed me a stack of money and his gold card and told me to have fun.

"Dont worry about a curfew. Don't drive drunk. And use protection." I flamed at his words but nonetheless nodded and walked as fast as my heels would take me. River opened the door to his all black Audi and ushered me in like the gentlemen he was. And we were off.

Prom was prom. People came up to us and showed their adoration for us as a couple. A few people mistakes me for a model much to my annoyance. And a few girls came and politely asked for a dance with my boyfriend. All of which walked away heart broken when I told them no in the same fashion in which they asked. River enjoyed that.

We danced and laugh and ate. And he even sang to me. And when they announced prom king and queen. I almost puked.

"And this years prom queen is..." I heard the drum roll and felt a bright light descend upon my head. "Jolie Mitchell." The hall erupted into cheers and congrats and I stood there like a deer in headlights until I was ushered on stage by our host.

"And our king..." Another drum roll.

"Not a big surprise. The king of the school, River Dallas!" The screams and tears were audible as he broke into a smile and strode right up to me taking my hand in his.

We received our crowns and satchels and were told to start off the slow dance.

"I don't understand." I said shaking my head at all the people who all of a sudden loved the idea of me. "These people have made my life hell for years."

"Out of fear of Chloe. But when you stood up to her...it made people realize they had a choice. You're really one of the most respected people here Joey." I felt my heart swell at his words.

"So you didn't buy my spot?" I asked seriously. He shook his head with a smile.

"You did this all on your own." He bent down to kiss me and I heard the awe's erupt all around. I knew in that moment. River Dallas was my infinity. He was my other half and my best friend. He understood me like no one else. And I loved him indefinitely for it. He was my infinity and beyond. I couldn't wait to explore more of life with him.

Fin.