15.

River: You're so lame ;)

Me: I am not!

River: Joey?

Me: Yes?

River: I miss you.

I smiled warmly at the text from River and clutched my phone tightly in my palm.

Me: I miss you.

River left a few minutes ago. Like thirty minutes before he had attacked my inboxes claiming that my mom was the devil. I found them aggravating at first but after a few minutes I laughed agreeing.

She was a brick.

River: Okay.

I frowned. That's a very vague response. How do I even respond to that? I decided not to text back. I showered then decided to change into pjs. I was sitting in bed reading when my phone rang.

"Hello?" I called into the phone deciding not to look at the caller id.

"Glad to know it works." River mumbled grumpily.

"You said okay." I replied defensive.

"You're supposed to say okay. You know like the fault in our stars."

"More like the fault in your punctuation. You're supposed to put a question mark at the end then I confirm it."

"Okay?" I added.

I could almost hear his smile, "okay."

**

I thought the next day was going to  be a good one. I was meeting my friends at Leslie's and after my month long depression, I was excited. I put on my shoes and went to grab my keys. I was half way out the door when I heard them.

"Since when do you like that?" Chloe snapped. I walked to the office door and stood to see who she was arguing with.

"She's not strong enough. I won't let you."

"Think back on how complete things were when she was gone Charlie. Things are were perfect. We didn't have to worry about mom and dad arguing about her and we didn't fight either."

"You won't do it Chloe." He used a serious tone that I've never heard him use on anyone other than Luke.

"And who's gonna stop me?" She spat. "You try and stop me and I'll tell mom about Kyle. Then I'll be the only one here. Mom won't think twice about sending you away. We all know how they feel about gays."

"I confided in you!" He growled slamming something. "How could you threaten me like that?"

"Nothing will get in my way. Not you, Jolie, or River."

I heard footsteps so I quickly stepped toward the stairs to make it seem that I had just come downstairs.

"You look like a nun." I shrugged grabbing my keys. "Where are you going?"

"Out." I mumbled.

She smirked her ugly smirk and stood in front of the door blocking the frame. Her small size was very intimidating. I swallowed before looking at her.

"What?" I asked crossing my arms.

"I know for a fact that you're grounded."

I felt the side of my mouth tilt upward into a smirk like River's as I straightened up. "Get your facts straight then. Dad said I can go."

She laughed. I frowned as I watched her tiny frame rack with laughter. "God. You're even more pathetic than you were three years ago." I felt a pain in my chest and I felt hot all over.

Pathetic.

"At least I wasnt whoring around with a gardener named Paul. Who didn't give a shit about me. Remind me again, how long after you gave him some did he reveal his secret girlfriend?" I didn't wait for her to answer as I bumped past her feeling something inside me click.

Confidence.

**

I beamed at Carter's laughing expression. She was laughing but no sound was coming out. Her eyes were watery and she was shaking with silent, seallike, laughter.

"I can't believe you told Chloe that." Leslie said frowning.

"Why are you saying it like it's a bad thing?" Carter said frowning.

"Its her sister Carter. A year ago Joe wouldn't have even thought of cutting her bread the wrong way out of fear it would hurt her feelings. Now she's willingly doing it." He shook his head.

"She paid Luke to attack me." I reminded him.

"And when have you ever decided to stoop to her level?" He countered clapping his hands.

"It's not stooping to her level! I stood up for myself for the first time in forever just like Rivers been-

"River?" Carter asked piping up. "I thought nothing was going on."

I looked at her accusatory face. "Its not." I said defensively.

"Stop lying Joe."

"We kissed okay!" I yelled. "And I liked it and we stopped talking and I pretended to be strong and act like it didn't hurt me as much as it did but I lied. I lied about that and I lied about the fact that we were drunk. I lied about the cutting and I lied about where I am every night when you guys call. I'm sorry but I can't help the fact that I like River Dallas."

Leslie Sat there watching me with a scowl. "I never thought you'd be the one to be so naive."

"Excuse me?" I asked standing.

"Leslie chill." Carter said looking at him frowning.

"I mean its pathetic. You can't think for yourself Joe. Someone's always doing it for you-

"I didn't say much all these years but believe me I've heard and seen enough to know I am not the naive one Out of the bunch. And I'm not the only liar Leslie."

"What?" Carter asked looking between us.

"Nothing." I answered looking at Leslie's regretful expression. "Your friend will tell you." I grabbed my purse and keys and turned to the door.

"Bye Carter." I mumbled as I left them in the marble kitchen.