23.

The mall was a completely different scene with boys. Especially when you're shopping for them. I know I was still upset with River after our semi fight and I was a little disappointed in myself as well, but I was still planning on getting him a great gift and having a good time on Saturday. 

"Earth to Joe!" I blinked and jerked away from the fingers snapping in my face and frowned at Seth. 

"My bad. I zoned out." I said shaking my head. "What were you saying?" 

He laughed quietly to himself before turning back to look down at me, something everyone did. "I said did he tell you what he wanted?"

"He really doesn't talk about what he wants..." I trailed off adjusting my bun. 

"You should wear your hair down. I think he'd like that." I ignored Charlie's laughter at Kyle's joke as I walked straighter. My bun was nice...wasn't it? 

I wanted to make him happy. I think he's past material objects. He would love something with meaning, something simpy beautiful... I walked in Bounce, a popular shoe store, and bought him an expensive pair of gym shoes all the guys were raving over. On my way out I noticed this couple handing over plain sweatshirts and smiling, talking to each other excitedly about what they would get on their hoodies...and that's when it hit me. 

 ** 

The dress the guys made me get was...oddly fashionable. It was white, a color no one wore to any of the Dallas' parties. It was their color. It's like an odd unwritten rule to never clash with a families color. Someone very superifical made the rule I'm guessing. The Adrian's color was ruby red and the Carmine's was royal blue. My family, the Mitchell's color was burgundy. It did suit us. Whenever we had a gathering you could pick us out amongst the crowd because we were the only one's in the dark red color. 

 This rule was the reason I was staring at the mirror freaking out. Seth tried to covince me that it was gonna be okay because I was never present at anyone's party so to avoid the attention I could play it off as a misunderstanding. It's a shame people would honestly care. 

"I should have taken this back before today." It was Saturday and the day of River's 18th birthday. I had called him at 12 on the dot and wished him a happy birthday. I tried to rush myself off the line so it could open for anyone else who wanted to call him but he insisted I stay on and fall asleep on the phone with him. It was sweet. 

I sighed defeated and looked at the innocent garment covering my body. It was a beautiful dress. The white looked bright against my newly tanned skin. (I blame the tan on all those nature walks with River.) It was more a two piece than a dress. There was a white crop top shirt with silver stitching along the bottom, matching a semi short skirt with silver trimming along the top and bottom. I was wearing six inch studded heels that made my legs look a super models. I even decided to go the extra mile by hiring someone to do my hair and make up. 

I was dressing to impress. The knock at my room door let me know that Mitch and Kris were here and ready to create a masterpiece. 

"Hi." I said opening the door and leading them to the vanity. 

"Hello! Im Mitch and this is my little sister Kris. We're from Glam-Up and today we're gonna Glam you up." I frowned at the rehearsed intro but shook my head and nodded.

"I don't want to look caked but I want to look...different."

"No." Kris said cutting me off. "We don't do make up based on that. How do you feel tonight?"

I looked at her like she was crazy expecting her to move on from the silly therapy idea but when I said she wasn't backing down I sighed and sat in the chair in front of the mirror. "Different I guess."