7.

"Joe!" My mom yelled smiling at me. I shrugged off my coat before speaking.

"Y-yes?" Why was she being nice. She walked toward me and took me into a warm embrace. I melted into her ️and smiled. I couldn't remember the last time she hugged me. I sat for a second enjoying the gesture ..until she whispered into my ear.

"The Dallas' are here. Lose the damn stammer already." When she pulled away I straightened up and messed away at my hair making sure all hairs were intact.

"Stop." She scowled grabbing my arm tightly.

"River is with them?" I asked trying to peer around her.

"He is a Dallas right?" I ignored her and walked behind her to the den where I saw Mrs.Dallas smiling warmly at me. She stood and started advancing toward me with her arms wide.

"Joe!" She cheered hugging me. I stood shocked do a second until I realized she wouldn't let go until I hugged her back. I squeezed her in the same way she had done me. She pulled back and mouthed, "thank you."

I looked at her confused until she gave me a look that told me to follow her gaze and there I saw him.

His usually devilish hair wasn't sticking up in odd directions it was pulled back with gel, holding a small part on the left side. He wasn't dressed in his school uniform but a dress shirt and some black slacks with a blue vest overtop. His bright blue eyes were pouring into me watching my exchange with his mom in shock. His pink full lips were-

"Joe." My mom snapped.

I turned to her lightening speed and felt a pain spoke through my neck. "Y-yes?"

"She asked if you had plans." She said scowling. I swallowed but turned to Mrs.Dallas.

"I was going to finish my paper tonight-

"Chloe is available." My mom said interrupting me.

"I want Jolie." River said speaking for the first time. "I want you to accompany me to dinner tonight."

"Chloe probably would be better-

"Joe," I looked at the face he was making and immediately gave in. He cheated! The puppy dog face isn't fair.

"Okay." I said looking at Mrs.Dallas. I smiled slightly, "I can finish it tomorrow. I'll go and change into something decent." I turned to walk away when River came following me. I looked at him confused but he smiled down at me.

"I'm helping."

***

"This." He said picking up a cocktail dress. It was blue with slight shimmers of black and sliver in it. It was tight and sophisticated. "It's cute."

"It is." I said walking to it.

"Now my beautiful date can match me." He pointed to the cohesive blue and silver.

I groaned. "River why? Why do you keep doing this?"

"Because I like you." he said like a child.

"No you don't." I said grabbing things to change into.

"Why is it so hard to believe?" He asked pouting as he slammed onto my bed.

"Hey! I just made that!" I said going to smooth it out.

"Answer me." He said grabbing my wrist lightly.

"Because I'm me and you're you." I pulled my arm away lightly and walked into the bathroom before closing and locking the door.

What the hell am I doing?

I came out fully dressed with my hair pulled into my bun. When he saw me come out he sat up and let a smile take over his face. "You look amazing." I shook my head at him but went to the long wall mirror to make sure I looked decent enough to walk in front of my mother. I was fixing the fly always in my hair before i felt my elastic being softly tugged out making my black locks fall to my sides.

"Why did you do that?" I asked moving to fix it. He grabbed my arm and smiled at me through the mirror.

"I like it." For some reason when he said that I felt warm. I nodded and looked in the mirror fixing any abnormal hairs before I nodded and turned to the door.

"I'm sorry for your mom." He said looking into my eyes. "I see why everyone does it now."

I frowned but nonetheless nodded. No one has ever done that. I took it as a kind gesture.

We walked back to the den where his mom was waiting for us in an almost silence. River kept trying to tickle me while I tried to move awkwardly away.

"Joe! You look amazing." Mrs.Dallas said standing up smiling. "Your hair! It's so long. I don't think I have ever seen it down."

"Thank you Mrs.Dallas."

"Call me Caroline. Mrs.Dallas is my business name.

I nodded before turning to my mom. I wasn't expecting for her to look at me in shock but as soon as she caught me looking she scowled. "You guys might be late." She said taking my hand and walking to the door.

"Embarrass me and I'll send you back." She threatened. I flinched out of her embrace and hit my back on something hard.

"Jolie," he said looking at my hair. "Where are you going?"

I smiled at Charlie. "Dinner with River and Caroline."

At this they walked to the door. "Charles." Caroline said smiling softly. "Hello. We were just leaving."

He nodded at eyed River suspiciously. He wrapped his arms around each shocking me before he looked back and smiled. "Have fun." I nodded and felt my hand being tugged by River who was looking at me confused. I wrapped my hand around his, wanting nothing more than to slap him with it, and turned to follow him out of the door and into the sleek black car.

The driver immediately started driving as Caroline began typing on her phone.

"My husband is early today. He's already there."

"What's the dinner for?"

She looked at me in confusion. "River wanted us to meet his girlfriend." She pointed at me.

I looked at him shocked eyes as I caught his sheepish smile.

He did not.