29.

I walked into school today feeling...light. We were ending the end of the school year in about a month, and prom was just around the corner. 

 I turned the bend toward my locker when I stopped suddenly feeling sick to my stomach. I looked at Chloe's lips attacking him, pushing him further into the locker, as if she couldn't get enough of him...but the worst betrayal was the fact that he was kissing back. 

 My suspicions had been correct. I felt tears brimming to my eyes but instead of confronting the two I walked away and headed for homeroom. I couldn't believe I was right! I had wished and hoped that the guy I knew and grew to love after so long, would have had the decency to tell me himself rather than mess around with my little sister behind my back.  

 I rounded the corner and smiled, even though the sight  of Chloe had been permentantly burned into my skull...River Dallas's face was always something that could make me smile. I instinctively walked up to him and linked hands with his. 

"Hey babe." he said smiling down at me. I used to be midly annoyed by the huge height difference, but now...I'm okay with it. It makes me feel protected. 

"Hey." I said looking up at him smiling. 

"Do you have plans this weekend?" he asked suddenly.

 I shook my head. "Nope." I said frowning. "Why?"

"Well, I have plans for us. So I'll come get you Thursday night, we don't have school Friday, Juniors take the SAT..."

"But my dad"-

"Approved already." he said waving me off. The warning bell rang and he bent down and kissed my forehead before pulling out my English notebook as well as his own, "Come darling." I rolled my eyes at him and smiled before walking into the door he held open for me. 

 ** 

"You held out information!" I accused pointing at my dad who was trying to hide his smirk. "Where are we going?" 

"I promised him I wouldn't tell you silly girl." 

"Please!" I asked pouting. 

"Fine!" he said sighing.

"Really?" I asked smiling. 

"No." he said blunty. "Now go before I call him and tell him you're being sluthe like." I rolled my eyes and stomped up stairs. 

 Our house, the one we got after my dad filed for divorce, was smaller. It was marvelous nonetheless, but it was four bedrooms, one for us each and an extra guess bedroom. There was a den, an office, a huge library (stocked for me, a gift from my dad) and game room. 

 It was the first step toward a healthy relationship with my family. The second would be our family therapy session tonight. The therapy session where Charlie decided he would confess his sexuality. I was so proud. I knew Dr.Jess would be gunning for me to open up about the cold shoulder and abuse I'd face inside and out of the home, but that was last thing I wanted. This was to help my brother...and Chloe.  

 I dressed casually in a black sweater, and white jeans with a braided, brown belt through the loops and I paired it with black heels with shoe strings on the front. I put my hair up in a messy bun and added hooped earrings. I smiled at my reflection...the void in my chest...was still there but now, without the threat of being shipped off, and hurt by Robert, I could actually breathe. 

** 

"Joe, how did your family's treatment toward you make you feel?" I swallowed as I looked around the room and saw their eyes watching me, waiting for me to answer.