30.

"And what did your dad say?" River asked leaning closer. I had just told him the eents of the therapy session with Dr.Jess and he was shocked to say the least.

"Nothing while we were at the therapy session, I think he was in shock about the whole Chloe bomb drop, but when the three of us got in the car, he was so...."

"Angry?"

"Relieved." I said laughing. 

  "I always knew you liked the left side." I repeated laughing. "He said he can't wait to meet the lucky guy that helped his son grown a pair." 

"Your dad is an awesome man without your mother." he said smiling in awe. 

"Tell me about it." I said laughing. 

"You seem lighter..."

"Was I fat before?" I asked feigning hurt.

He laughed and shook his head at me. "No, you just seemed so...worried all the time."

"I honestly think it's beause Robert was killed." I whispered. "I tried to seem glum about it, so people would think I was only in it for justice because of what I went through, but I...kind of wish..."

"You'd done it?" He said almost silently. I lookd up to find his eyes and saw that he wasn't judging...he was understanding. 

"Yeah." I admitted feeling ashamed. "I feel like a monster for that."

"I feel the same way. If you're a monster, I'm a monster." I smiled sadly at him. 

"They're still finding stuff digging up the yard....still girls coming forward. He'd done so much...he'd held so much over our heads..." I shook my head feeling the pain float back. 

"I wish I had killed him the moment he walked in the hospital room." I whispered feeling my eyes fill. 

"He's gone." River whispered pulling my chair to his. He wrapped his arms about my waist and pulled me into him as I let the tears drop. 

"He won't ever come back, and I won't ever let anyone hurt you again baby. Okay?"

"Okay." I cried. 

"You trust me?" he asked peering at me. I nodded. "I gotta hear it to believe it." he said smirking. I sniffled and nodded wiping my eyes. 

"I trust you."

***

 "I didn't expect to see or hear from you so soon after your last session." I nodded at Dr.Jess. 

"I just felt overwhelmed and I kind of wanted to talk without feeling embarrassed." 

"I understand...group therapy is way more complicated, especially with people who could potentially ground you." 

I nodded. "You seem tense...what's bothering you." 

"I lied to the police about all that happened to me...I was ashamed." I confessed.

"Ashamed about what? You were attacked and abused Joe." I felt her hand reaching toward me and instictively jumped away. 

"I'm sorry." I said immediately. "It's just when my mind goes to that place, I forget who's to blame and who isn't."

"Who do you blame?" 

"My mom." I admitted. 

"Why her? I was told Chloe inspired her to send you off after filling her with lies about you symptoms, and then Robert of course, and even your friend Sheri who told Robert about your escape."

"She's my mom and I've never felt like I had one. Caroline would have known....she knew immediately she I looked at Robert in the hospital room that something horrible had happened. My dad even sensed it but my mother still doesn't."

"She may not"-

"She's a woman! Just like me. How can she do that and act like that and treat me like that and Chloe! She is becoming her but worse because she has no end. She'l do and say anything and I'm afraid for anyone who comes in contact with her." 

"Why?"

"Because she makes me wanna die just by breathing." 

**

 "Where were you?" My dad asked standing by the door. 

"I'm sorry." I said rushing in. "My phone died while I was at a private with Dr.J." 

"Oh, therapy. You're lucky. River is here." Oh yeah. It's Thursday.

"I didn't even pack." I exclaimed. 

"He did it for you...well the queen helped. I expect  he picked some cute stuff." he gave me a hug and rubbed my back softly. "Have fun for once Joe Joe." 

I smiled up at him when he used my child hook nickname and I nodded pulling out my pinky. He instantly caught on and trapped it with his own. "Promise." we said together. 

"Awe! Cue the water works!" I looked down at the ground and rolled my eyes at Riley. "Why are you in my house little tiger?" 

"Because River said he was going to pick you up and I came with these!" he said whipping out an unopened pack of El Tigre band aids. I stifled the laugh that threatened to escape. 

"My hero!" I said placing a hand over my heart. 

"I know babe. I know these things. Shivry aint dead." he said posing.

"What's not dead?" River asked smirking down at his little mini me...mini him. 

"Shivry." he said like it was the most simple concept in the world. I had no idea what he was talking about until River corrected him. 

"Chivalry." 

 "Oh.That is what mom said." he laughed. "Jeez Riv, you made me seem like a jackas-

"A what?" River asked frowning. 

"Jack rabbit." he corrected. 

"Go pee." River said pointing to the bathroom. 

"Aye Aye Matie." my dad let out a bark of laughted as Riley ran off. 

"That kid reminds me of a TV character."

"He acts like River." I said pointing. 

"I have more skill than that." he said smirking. 

"Do not!" Riley said pouting as he tucked in his shirt coming from the bathroom. 

"Do too!" He settled for sticking his tongue out instead of going back and forth with his big brother. 

"Well we do need to go, the plane will leave uh...whenever I say, but we wanna get there before it's too late."

"Have fun. Be safe. Don't hurt my daughter." my dad said smiling at River. 

"Will do, will do, would never plan on doing." he swore. 

And we left. 

"Is Riley coming?" 

"Nope." he said shaking his head looking in his mirror at the sleeping toddler. "He just wanted to see you. I'm dropping him off then we're going to the jet."

"Can I atleast get a hint?" I asked pouting. "I hate surprises."

"One hint." he agreed. "I love this place." 

"That doesn't help." I whined. 

"I gave you a hint." he said laughing at me. "You'll love it. You've never been." he said looking at me.