you're falling for the protagonist in a fantasy novel

"It's you" 

 You say as you look into his warm brown eyes. And you realize, it's always been him. Your sweet, beautiful boy. It's taken you so long to realize, so many boys but it's him. You can't see when it will ever not be. 

As you smile and wait for him to reply, you think of how long it took you to find him. The years worth of games where princes from all the lands fought to be the King to your Queen. The balls, the boys, the heartbreak. 

But none of them make you feel the way he makes you feel. The kitchen boy you grew up with, the one who made you laugh, smile. The one you share so many memories with. Your soulmate, your true love. 

But he's just silent as he looks at you. His eyes tearing up before becoming cold. You've never seen him like this before. He doesn't look like he's yours anymore. 

"Who." Is the only word you can say, swallowing back tears. Your face stoic, unmoving. 

He swallows, gently holding your hands in his. "Catherine," he says, "Your maidservant." 

You're filled with rage. But of course it's not her fault. You're just angry. Angry at the world, angry at love. Angry at timing. It's not fair. 

"I loved you." He says, tears falling from his eyes. "I loved you for 18 years and you never looked at me. Not once." 

Suddenly a wave of memories hit you, running down the fields every day when you were kids, the many food fights. Watching the sunset, playing in the ocean and hide and seek in the massive palace. Him watching you dress up before every ball, every court date. He's always loved you, and you've always loved him. 

But you realize you'll never be the one to share those memories with him in the future, it will be her. He was your forever, now she's his. 

"But I love you now." You say brokenly. "Doesn't that mean anything?" 

"Now is too late." He says sadly, slowly dropping your hands. 

You can't stop yourself, the words come out so brokenly. "I love you." You say, as you watch him walk away. He turns around and slowly, sweetly smiles at you, and you realize this is goodbye. 

"Always." He says, before leaving forever. Walking into Catherine's waiting arms. 

***

You sit on your throne. Your to be husband King Matthias by your side. As you watch the guests enter the palace walls, you see them in the crowd. Catherine and him. They laugh and smile, and he looks at her in a way he never looked at you. 

 You may be Queen, but the maidservant truly won.

---

bit meh

Please remember to vote and comment if you can!!