dancing with your lover in the halls of an abandoned castle

Eyes as dark as the night, he watches you. 

You wore your best dress for him. The one he loves so much. The one you met him in, when you first fell in love. 

As you walk down the old abandoned staircase, he takes your hand. A ghost of a smile. And then you dance. 

Oh how you dance. And for how long you can't be sure. What feels like minutes could be years. And what feels like years could be merely minutes. All you know is that you never want it to end. You want it to last for eternity. 

But alas, everything ends. 

As you hold his face in your hands, you're taken back to a brighter time. And instead you're dancing in a ball, when this castle wasn't abandoned, instead full of light, excitement and love. 

Where you met him. Your lover. 

Where you fell in love. 

Then the fire the rage the attacks. The castle fell down. And so did he. 

But he waits for you. Every year. He waits for you. He promised you one last dance. And you dance for an impossible future. Because he's dead. And you're alive. 

The song abruptly stops and the rain outside gets louder and louder. As you look upon his beautiful youthful face, you feel it start to crumble, as it always does once a year. 

The last thing you see are those dark eyes, before his features fracture and he's gone. "Next year" is the unspoken promise in his eyes. 

You look at a piece of shattered mirror, at your old wrinkled face. Full of new love but also heavy sadness. Of lost experiences and grief. 

"I don't think there will be another year." You whisper. But he's gone. 

And as you walk out of the castle, going back to your husband and children and grandchildren, you can't explain why you do that. 

Why you always go back to the boy you once loved. Every year in an abandoned castle. For one last dance.

---

Please remember to like and comment if you can!!