your elite new boarding school turns out to be more sinister than it seems

You run down the corridor, white dress sweeping across your bare feet. The floor ice cold, laugh falling out of your mouth in a mist, echoing along with the rest of your friends as you all run down the final corner.

And there finally, it stops. You reach a halt and the rest of your friend's giggles lighten until they're no longer louder than a gasp. The intricately designed door remains ahead of you. Large and flaking, old yet majestic. It's beautiful.

Carefully the youngest boy reaches into his nightie pocket and passes you the key. Cleaning it on your dress until it's a polished shine, you hold it tightly in your hands for a moment. Then you lean down, looking through the keyhole.

A smile graces your face. It's beautiful.

Taking the key you place it through the hole, the satisfying clink music to all your ears. Your classmates start cheering quietly behind you. None of you knew if it would really work.

And then you push through, all of you pushing as hard as you can until the great, heaving door opens fully. And there you see it. Everything you dreamed of.

The magic, happiness, love. The golden hue of dreams. The secret giggles of friendship. There you see happiness. There you see peace.

And so you all laugh and play and talk. For hours and hours. Until the sun starts to rise and it's time to go back to your dorms. You walk back, closing the door behind you. All of you slowly walking back to your beds as if you dread leaving that room behind.

You go to your beds and sleep. And then you awake, and you all talk of the magical door. The wonderful room. And you whisper excitedly, ignore the impatient teachers, and wait ecstatically till night falls again so you can go to the room another time.

Then night does fall. And you all sneak out, laughing just like the night before. And then you get to the door again. See the same flaky, majestic design, sigh with exhilaration as you place the key in the keyhole again.

But this time there is no click. You turn it and twist it. Your classmates giggles turn to worried murmurs. And you're left. On the other side. Of a room that bought you such happiness. Because the key doesn't turn anymore.

And so all of you trudge back. Eyes downcast, heads bowed. And you sleep and you dream. And slowly the key around your neck becomes an object instead of a purpose, a trinket instead of magic. Your classmates start to question why you wear that key, and you start to forget where it led too.

And slowly the room of dreams starts to become just that. A dream.

--

this isn't really a story as such, instead it's something i wrote to be up to the reader's own interpretation. I felt like writing something a little different when listening to this playlist and this is what came out. i hope u enjoyed  and lmk (if u can) how u interpret it, i'd be really interested in hearing it <3