you're the hero waltzing with the villain, realizing they were right all along

"Take my hand." His tone is more urgent this time, less playful, more demanding. His eyes look up at you pleadingly, you've never seen him look this desperate.

Rolling your eyes you simply brush past him, walking over to another handsome young fellow, who smirks confidently, full of pride that an ex princess has taken his arm for the dance.

You grin at him, eyes sparkling with delight as he twirls you around into a spin. Laughing you close your eyes as you spin around, and he gently let's go. His hand replaced by another's. 

Disgustedly you open your eyes to face him. And of course he stands in front of you, spinning you around for another twirl. Your sworn enemy.

He smirks cockily at you, knowing he got what he asked for first. Sighing exasperatedly, you tug your hand out of his grasp, turning away. But then his hand grazes your waist, as if he wants you back but doesn't want to force you.

And something about that gentle touch makes you pause. Makes you stop and turn around, searching his eyes.

"I'm not your enemy." He whispers.

It takes all your energy not to roll your eyes again. How long has he been saying these words. Time and time again the same stupid phrase. The whole Kingdom knows what he is. The Court Jester that sold your secrets to your enemy Kingdom, leading to the downfall of your father and the death of your mother.

Now your Kingdom is taken over by them, and you and your father are reduced to prisoners, forced to live here without the control you deserve, to watch as everything you worked for gets tarnished. All because of the stupid court Jester, who is allowed to remain as one in your invaded Kingdom

A stupid court Jester that you grew up with. That you used to love.

The song plays it's last notes, but just before it ends you smile gently at him, beckoning for him to lean forward. He does so, a hint of hope in his eyes as his ear grazes your lips.

"I hate you." You whisper harshly, and he quickly recoils, an expression of hurt in his face.

You don't have it in you to feel bad. Instead you walk away, but just before you can leave the bustling vibrant hall, the huge doors open. And in walks in the new King, mouth outstretched into a smile. But the King's over joyous expression is not what shocks you. What does is the woman stood beside him, smiling equally as happily.

Holding a hand to your chest you fall back, scarcely able to breathe. As she looks at you, the woman you believed to be dead. The woman you grieved for. Your mother.

She looks startled as she sees you, but that shock is soon gone, replaced with an unapologetic expression. She smiles and raises a glass to you. Uttering gleefully the same words everyone else in the room is. "Long live the King."

You turn back. Frantically looking for him. Your Jester. Who never told you in fear of hurting you. Who let you hate him because the truth was far more harsh to bear. But through the crowds you can't see him. And you feel alone, so alone. You hold yourself, falling to the ground.

But just before you do an arm breaks your fall. As he holds you, and you cry. And then he whispers something which gives you a little hope.

"Your father." He says, "He's outside."

You follow him out of the hall, escaping discreetly as he passes you a maid apron to pull over your dress and a little cap to cover your hair. Holding his hand you run with him, all the way to the grassy fields outside.

And there you see your father, sitting in a carriage. Dressed in servant attire and pulling you into the chariot with him.

"Take my hand." You say, trying to pull the Jester in too. But he just shakes his head, eyes slightly teary and whispering goodbye.