you watch the person you fell for, fall in love with someone else

Joint POV's

His POV:

It's strange to see. 

Her smile in a way she never smiled with you. Her eyes lit up in way you've never seen before. Her laugh so free, so infectious. You want to hear her laugh like that forever.

Even if that forever isn't with you.

So you watch her fall in love. You watch her invite boy after boy into her house.  You see as each meets her parents. How their parents react to them, if they love or despise them. And you wish that any of those boys could have been you. So much.

But of course you're just the boy next door.

Nice, friendly. But not dateable. And never good enough for someone like her.

No mater how much you wish. 

Her POV:

You don't know when you fell in love with him.

You guess it was sort of gradual. He'd always been the sweet boy you've seen from afar. Too pure, too perfect to ever be with someone like you.

But you couldn't help hoping. Boy after boy it was always him. But why would he ever choose you. 

He was too good. 

So you watch him. As your boy next door became someone else's. As the thing you had always dreaded happened. When he finally started to date, and got his first girlfriend. 

And she was perfect. Everything you were not. She was right for him.

So you watch him fall in love.

You sit as a guest at his wedding wishing you were the one wearing white instead. You watch him laugh so joyous, so happy. And you know he couldn't have ever been that way with you.

3rd person:

They visit each other sometimes.

Her with her partner, him with his. Both partners so different to their first loves. As if they tried their hardest to make themselves forget. In any way they could.

But as they watch each other from across tables, across seats, across worlds.

They can't help wishing for what could have been.

--- 

Please remember to vote and comment if you can!!