reminiscing about a love that wasn't meant to last

You stare outside your small window, the sweet summer breeze grazing upon your face. The flowers outside bloom, your children rolling around upon the muddy fields. They laugh, so lively, so happy, and you can't stop a genuine smile from falling upon your lips.

And then you feel arms around your waist, the smell of drunk breath replacing the old beautiful breeze you had just felt a few seconds ago. Your smile slightly falters. But you know he'd be annoyed to see you upset with him.

So you muster up your wife smile again, and turn, kissing him gently on his lips. And for a second instead of him you feel the lips of another boy. So long ago. The lips of the boy you fell in love with. The arms of the boy you had always thought would be your forever.

And then the kiss ends, faster than it began. And he walks away, looking into the fridge for another bottle of beer. Before he leaves the kitchen, he ruffles your hair lovingly and gently strokes the dark blue bruise on your cheek. And then he's gone. And you're free again for a little while.

You sit there, watching the fields until instead of your children you see you and him. The love of your life. His beautiful smile, his playful side. The prettiest eyes and the most innocent face. You'd always thought of him as perfect. And all the things he promised you, the future you'd always dreamed of with each other. You miss him. You only realise now how much.

It starts to rain and you call your children in. You don't realise you're crying until they mention it. You don't realise you're shaking until you drop the glasses of water you had poured for them. You don't notice your husband's back in the room again until he has you on the floor, hitting you because you smashed the glasses.

You don't realise you're in pain until he's gone again, slamming the house door behind him.

But what you do realise is enough is enough. You can't do this anymore. So you pack your bags, you pack your children's mini suitcases. You limp out of the house, putting them both in the car. And drive. Driving and driving and driving.

As your children fall asleep in the backseat, you catch a glimpse of yourself in the rear-view mirror. Of your bruised face and battered body. You think of the boy again and wonder. How could a boy so perfect, the boy who asked to marry you, the boy you thought would love your forever. How could a boy like that turn out to be such a monster.

You blink and drive, smiling as you see your children again. Sometimes love isn't meant to last. But you'll never forget the beauty it bought.

Vote and comment if you can!! lots of love and thank u always for your support <3