you watch the person you fell for, fall in love with someone else

while writing I didn't listen to the playlist but i used that prompt! I listened to lana del ray's groupie love so feel free to listen to that instead if you'd like <3 this is basically a redo of the last one, the other one felt more rushed & i like this one a bit better ❤

You watch him in the crowds, as they all shower him with praise and adoration. He rakes it all in, the most gigantic smile on his beautiful face, the most ecstatic look in his dark eyes. You've never seen his this happy, this joyous.

That is, until he spots you in the crowd. His smile falters, his expression drops, his hands shake. You just shake your head and turn around, tears in your eyes and walking away. You're tired of all this, tired of him.

He runs after you, you feel his hand grab yours in the crowd. You turn and his eyes look at you, pleading. You don't want to let him hurt you again but you can't help hoping that he can explain himself. That all of this is one huge stupid joke. 

So you let him lead you away. But the way he's looking at you, the way he holds your hand, the way he trembles as he stands with you, dragging you into a closed alley way. You know, you know this is real.

"Why." Is all you can say, you don't want to let him see how truly shattered you feel.

He just shakes, holding you as you both fall onto the ground. Your dress over his kingly robes, your hair over his crowned head. Your cheek wet from his tears. He holds you so tight you feel as if you can't breathe, but you don't mind this time. You know this embrace will be your last.

"A life as King?" He says, his voice cracking. "I couldn't turn that down."

Suddenly you're furious. You're raging, angry, mad. You want to strangle his stupid neck, you want to slap that pitiful puppy dog expression on his face.

"Do you love her?" Is all you can say. You're too broken to cry, too angry to care.

He shakes his head adamantly. "I love you. I will always love you."

He looks away and you catch him staring at a puddle on the ground. It takes you a second to realise he's looking at the reflection of his crown, a look of love in his eyes. It dawns on you and you scoff with disgust. 

"You didn't leave me for her did you? You left me for it didn't you? The power. You chose that over me."

He can't even speak. He looks forlornly at you, attempting to reach for you again as you stand up, brushing off the dirt off your dress. "I'm sorry." He whispers.

You hit his hands away, furious. "Why couldn't you have just told me? You told me to wait... And I did. For so long. While all the while you were here, arranging to be wed, starting a new life."

He wipes his tears, standing up once again. Adjusting his crown and reaching for your hand. Holding it tightly in his. "I thought I could have it all." He says, he sounds just as broken as you feel.

"No." You say, pulling your hand harshly from his. "That's not how it works."

And then you hear voices in the crowds get louder, coming closer and closer to the hidden corner where you both stand. "Choose." You say, looking into his eyes. The boy you've loved forever, the boy you thought would always be yours. The boy who promised you the world.

He takes off his crown and touches your face, the way he's always done. And you almost smile, you almost believe you are worth more to him than the crown, than power, than riches. But then he drops his hand and your face grows cold.

The crowd finally reach the spot you're both in. They shout joyously when they see him, ignoring what looks like a passer-by stood beside him, a nobody. They pick him up as he places his crown back on his head. A massive grin overtaking his face as they carry him through the crowd, back to his castle.

He turns around one last time. He mouths the words "I love you." And looks at your face, searching. But you don't say it back. You coldly turn your back to him. He doesn't deserve to feel better about what he's done. So you walk. Walk and walk and walk, going back to your home. A home that will no longer feel safe without him in it.

Wondering all the while how the boy who promised he would love you forever would find something he loved more. Wondering how the boy who promised you the world found his own, without you in it.

thank you for 2k reads and 100 followers. you have no idea how much it means to me, no idea. thank you, always. & to all those who comment, or say the sweetest words, i love u, all of it means the world ❤

remember to vote and comment if you can <3