{5}Return

🌷Chapter 5🌷
Return

It was nearing sunset as she sat at home with her son, she was pulling out leaves and sticks from his wavy ginger hair.
"Ouch!" He winced as he held his head.
"Hold on, just a few more.." She smacked away his hand and continue to comb them out.

"Done." She handed him the contents pulled from his hair, "Dispose of them outside for me, please."
He hummed politely with a nod as he collected them in his hands and went out through the backdoor.
She smiled with contentment as she watched her son leave the room, proud and also scared at the fact that he was growing into a man.

A knock on the door made her let out a yelp, she calmed herself before going to answer the door.
And again, her eyes met those sapphire blue orbs that she somehow lost herself in.
"Oh, good afternoon Duke Howard."
"Yes, good afternoon." He inserted, as nearly forgot his manners. "Here, I have brought your book." He held it out to her.
"Ah, it's only been two weeks, have you finished it so quickly?"
"You can say I'm an avid reader.."
"Yes. Oh, please come in!" She stepped aside as she welcomed him in.

"Thank you. You have a beautiful home." He said as he took off his cloak that held his badges and accessories, handing it to her.
"This isn't much, I'm sure you've seen better." She took his cloak and hung it up on the rack.
"I have, but none of them have an atmosphere so much like home. Believe me, truly, it is a beauty. And the fact you are the one keeping it in shape makes it more beautiful."
Her heart jumped in her chest, "Thank you, I'm honored to have you here."

He suddenly took a few steps back. Confused, Orletha asked, "Are you okay?"
It was Abel who attacked the young man with a hug.
"Oh goodness, Abel, release the young man!" She said.
"It's fine." Said Howard as he patted Abel on the head, "I am glad to see you as well."
The paranoid mother sighed in relief.

"Do have a seat, are you hungry?" She asked.
"No." He said as he sat down and brought Abel on his lap.
"He was playing in a heap of fallen leaves and twigs, I was taking them out when you came."
"Well he's an adventurous spirit. I'm sure he had fun." He said as he patted his head.
"Yes I did!" He nodded.

Orletha chuckled, "You're trouble all on your own, Abel." She pinched his cheeks.
"Can he read?"
"Oh, yes! He likes magical stories, the ones with knights and wizards and dragons.."
"Typical."
"I make up stories to tell him before bed, I'm running out of stories to tell him.."

"I'll see what I have that are of his liking."
"That is really nice of you, Sir Howard. I can't thank you enough."
His eyes met hers, and hit shot her heart like a cannon, his soft and gentle smile.