{28}A Kiss Farewell

🌷Chapter 28🌷
A Kiss Farewell

      Madison had been searching frantically for Warrick all morning. She checked his chambers, the conference room and even asked the Palace Guards, none of them seem to know where he went. Exhausted and saddened, she slumped on a random chair perched against the wall in the hall of whatever wing of the Palace she was in. 
"Why the sad look, My Lady?"
Her body jolted up at the familiar voice, "Warrick!" She enveloped him in a hug, to which he returned as his arms clung to her slim waist.
"I've been looking for you all morning, Warrick.." She pouted.
"And so have I." He caressed her cheek. "I've come to see you one last time before I leave with my army to Theode." He explained.
She sighed, "I thought you left without saying goodbye."
"How could I ever–" The papers in her hands caught his attention.
"What are these?" He pointed at them.
"My sister and I wrote letters for you to give to my father upon arrival."
He collected the letter, storing it away in the breast plate of his armor.
"I have a few moments to spare before I depart. Care to take a walk with me?" He extended his hand, to which she quickly took. "I would love that more than anything."

     Hand in hand, they walked slowly through the garden.  They soon stopped to sit on a wooden bench. The couple sat in silence for a while until one of them spoke.
"Our father has been very
protective of us since the loss of our mother. She was a warrior; fierce, beautiful and strong. Upon her passing, everything changed. He forbade me from doing the things I loved– archery, swordfighting, horseback riding..
When I heard of the upcoming war, I wanted to fight. He sent my sister and I away to get married off to some Princes of the King he was allies with. I'm the eldest, I should be the one to claim the throne. But instead the crown would be handed over to my darling little brother Gerald. He's only twelve. Just a child."

She then turned to him, "I'm not saying that I regret meeting you, it's just– you're one of the good things that came out of this situation—"

She was silenced with a kiss, "Say no more, I understand how you feel."

He quickly got off the bench and was suddenly kneeling before her.
"As I am before you on one knee, I promise you that I will do all that I can in my power to protect your father and brother. And when I return, I will ask for your hand in marriage."

"I was never one to believe in God but I'll pray for him to protect you." She held his hand against her cheek. "I know you won't fail me."

🌷🌷🌷

    It was one of those days when Luella spent the day at Nicholas' Palace. They sat out in the garden indulging themselves in a game of chess. With each turn they both strategically moved their pieces across the board. The game was drawn out for hours and neither of them saw an opening to win.
"There's something I've been meaning to tell you, Luella." Stated Nicholas as he reached for his King and put the piece to lay on its side, admitting defeat.
"I've something in mind to tell you, as well." She replied, taking a sip of her tea."Go on, then."
"As much as I enjoyed this time we spen together, I must tell you there's already have someone that I love."
"And so do I." Nicholas nodded, "Audrey?" He guessed.
"Yes. And you?"
"Someone. A commoner."
"Just like in the story. I'm glad for you."
"Likewise."
"Orletha?"
"Yes." He rested his chin on his closed fist, "How do you plan on telling your father?"
"I wrote letter to my father and sent it with Warrick. I do hope he makes it there safely." She replied, "I'm surprised you're not seeing your brother as he goes off to war."