{17}The Bodyguard

⚘Chapter 17⚘
The Bodyguard

'My dearest Luella, allow me to hold your heart hostage with the strength of my love'

"Your Highness, Your Highness!"
Her eyes fluttered open, meeting the eyes of a young maid that hovered over her.
"You have been summoned by the Crown Prince, Your Highness." The maid stepped back, bowing her head as she explained.
"Oh alright. Thank you for informing me."
"Your bath is ready. I shall fetch your breakfast." The maid took her leave as Luella went for her bath. I had the strangest dream..

    Upon getting herself dressed and having a light breakfast, she went out to meet Prince Ashton.
"You've summoned me, Your Highness?" She greeted him in the lobby with a curtsey.
"Indeed, I have. The war has officially begun and I want our guests to be especially safe." Said Ashton.

A knight that stood beside Ashton took the Princess by the hand as he knelt before her. "I am Sir Audrey, a knight working under Prince Warrick's command. I have been assigned to you as your personal bodyguard."
"My.. Bodyguard?" Luella was at a loss for words, not because she had been given a bodyguard, but because of how breathtakingly handsome he was. His buff frame towered over her as he stood six feet tall, he ran his hands through his unkempt hair all the while maintaining eyecontact with the silent Princess.

"Audrey will be your personal Bodyguard around the clock. Wherever you desire to go, rest assured that he will be there also. Worry not about your sister, Warrick will keep her safe, being a General and all.." Aston explained.

"W-what an honor.. I- it is to have you as my personal bodyguard in these times. I'm grateful for your service." She gave him a deep curtsey to show her gratitude.

"Well then!" Crown Prince Ashton clapped his hands together, "I'll allow you both to get acquainted with one another. Off I go to my Princely duties!" He marched off proudly, leaving the two of them to ponder in the grave silence.

"Is there anywhere that you desire to see, My Lady?" He asked.
She averted her eyes in thought, then nodded with a smile. "Take me for a stroll around town!"
"As you wish, My Princess." He offered his arm and she hesitantly took it as he led her out the palace doors.

🌷🌷🌷

     Audrey helped the Princess on her horse and mounted it right after, setting their journey to the town of commoners. Upon arrival, they dismounted the horse and carried on through the busy town on foot.
"Stay within my line of sight, alright?"
"Yes." She nodded shyly.
It was a lively little town; people coming to buy rations, performers playing music and passersby stopping to watch their little show.

"The end is near! Cleanse yourself of sin through Jesus Christ our Lord and be granted a mansion in Heaven!" Shouted a man with the scripture in his hand.

"I have brought magical jewels from far away lands, worn by great nobels and enchantresses!"

"Exotic fragrances and fabrics from the tropics!"

    She walked slowly, paying attention to what each stand was selling until she came across a frail old woman sitting on a stool, her back hunched with her elbows resting on her knees. With closed eyes, she looked up to where the Princess stood and spoke.
"I see love in your future, dear Princess, and distraught."
"Love? Distraught?" She stopped to face the elderly woman.
"In the near future you would have to make a grave decision. One of love or one of duty. The choice is yours to make. Choose wisely."

Luella reached deep into her pockets, retrieving a pouch and opening it. She took out three gold pieces and placed it in the hands of the elderly woman. "Thank you for your words of wisdom." She squeezed the womans wrinkled hands, letting them go and following after Audrey.

"You don't believe that drivel, do you?"
"I've never had my fortune told before, I was quite intrigued."

🌷🌷🌷

   They made it past the busy town and stopped at a large tower. Audrey left his horse tied at the entrance and led the Princess up the spiraling flight of stairs that led to the very top of the tower. Luella was amazed. From where they stood they overlooked the entire Kingdom.
"Such a beautiful sight!" She braced herself on the ledge, staring down into the streets.
"Be careful not to lean with all your weight," Said Audrey, lifting her forearms from the ledge and bringing her a few steps back. The cold touch of his iron armor sent a shiver throughout her body.
"Thank you." She managed to say.
"What's it like?"
"Pardon?"
"What's it like.. to be a Knight?"
"It's an honorable profession, I might say. Protecting The Crown is the one thing we live for and will die for. We have to put the lives of others over own."
"Very honorable indeed." Luella nodded.
"You would have been put to better use in the battlefield, but instead you're assigned to protect a Princess. It must annoy you.."
A chuckle escaped his lips. "For a Princess, you really play down your value and importance. Choosing to be bodyguard was entirely up to me, you see." He explained.

"Oh, I see." She nodded.

"You claim to see but you don't seem to understand." He turned her around to face him. He leaned forward so that she can look him right in the eyes.

"My Princess, you are worth protecting."