{2}Relief

🌷Chapter 2🌷
Relief

   The guards looked over to the young Duke and awaited his response. She felt his icy gaze on the back of her had.
"Don't disappoint me. You may rise."
Orletha sighed as a tear fell on the dirt, she got up  and dusted herself off, not making eye contact with the Duke.
"Duke Howard, what about the meeting with the King?"
"It shall be delayed," He retorted, "Now, off we go."
The palace guards shoved her mud painted son to her, she held him as she led the way towards her house.

  Now at the door of her house, she dug into the pockets of her apron to get the keys. Once retrieved, she opened the door and welcomed him in.
"You'll remain outside." Howard ordered the guards as he closed the door behind him. He took off his coat and gave it to her to hang up.
"Oh, p-please have a seat." She pulled a chair for him, and he sat.
She pulled a small table and asked him to take off his shoes and put his feet up.

"While you wait for your shoes to be cleaned, are you interested in any books? William Shakespare? Brothers' Grim? Dante Alighieri?"
"Shakespeare will be fine.." He nodded.
"And any beverage? Tea? Wine? Water?"
"Tea would be fine."
"Okay." She bowed as she scurried to get the book and bring it over for him to read.

She went over to the kitchen to get water boiling, then out to the kitchen garden to pick tea leaves and herbs and then to the bathroom to run water for her son to bathe.
"Am I in trouble, mother?" Her son, Abel, asked her as he undressed himself to go in the tub.
"I don't know, sweetie. Please clean up so you could go outside to apologize to the Duke, alright?"
"Okay," he took the sponge from her and began to scrub his skin.

Upon going to the kitchen, the water was hot enough. She poured the water in the teapot and carried a teacup, a teaspoon and a sugar container over to the living area.
"Here you go, I hope you like lemon grass.."
"I do." He sat up to accept the steaming cup of tea.
"Now please excuse me as I get your shoes clean."

He watched her as she shuffled out the room, then paid attention to the scenery. It was like an antique doll house, one he remembered his mother having. Atop the fireplace had no family portrait, but instead a still life painting of a vase of flowers. The room smelled like tea, spices and old books.

The aesthetic was calming and also pleasing, though it wasn't up to the standard of Royalty.

Orletha was about to enter the living area but stopped at the door. She watched him as his pale blonde hair hang over his deep sapphire blue eyes as they skim through the contents of the page. He honestly seemed nicer than how others spoke about him.

His eyes rose from the book to meet hers.

"Uhm.. Your boots are polished and left to dry.." She said to break the awkward silence between them.
"Oh, okay. That's good."
"Yeah.."
He realised that she didn't move from her spot. "Please, come and sit."
"Oh, yes." She hesitantly came and sat across from him. "And uhm.. Duke Howard.." She stuttered.

His eyes met with hers once again, "I apologize about what happened with my son. He was playing in mud with friends and was running, he wasn't watching where he was going and.."
"Mummy?" Her son now entered the room. She called him and he came and sat on her lap.
"It's all forgiven."
"Really?"
"Yes, you won't expect me to punish a child for playing, do you?" He scoffed. "And next time," he reached out to pat Abel on the head. "Always look in front of you."

🌷🌷🌷

  The boots had dried and  it was time for Duke Howard to leave.
"Your service was.. refreshing. I'll be borrowing this book."
"Oh, thank you for allowing me to do this. And I'm still so very sorry.."
Her speech was brought to a halt as she saw him hold up a bag, she already knew what it was by the jingling sound.
"Oh no, I can't accept this.."
"Please do." He took her hand and placed the moneybag in it.
"Thank you for your service." She could have sworn she saw him smile before he entered his carriage and rode off.
As she closed the door, she sighed in relief, "That was close.."