{10}On One's Own Accord

🌷Chapter 10🌷
On One's Own Accord

     After another senseless meeting where his presence wasn't necessarily required, the young Duke was packing himself up to leave.
"Duke Howard?" A soft voice called his name. It was a middle aged maid that worked for his father.
"His Majesty would like to see you."
"Alright." He agreed as he followed maid that led the way.

She pushed open the grand mahogany doors and greeted the King.
"Your Highness," She started, "I brought you Duke Howard as you asked."
"Thank you, Martha."
She nodded, "I'll be leaving you now." She left and closed the doors behind her.

"Howard, my son." The King sat himself against the headboard with the assistance of the maids.
"Yes, father." He pulled a chair near to his bed and sat.
"I know we have grown apart, since the death of your dear mother."
Howard sighed at the mentioning of his mother.
"But hear me, your mother would want to see you happy, and so do I." He coughed.
"So please, you finding a wife is the only thing I'm asking of you.."

"Father, I am doing fine on my own thus far, and if my need to find a wife arises I will seek out one. I hope to find a wife on my own accord." He answered with annoyance evident in his voice.
"I know you and your brother Ashton are not close either but please get along for my sake."
"And that I can't guarantee."
"I know, but at least pretend."
"Nor can I do that."

"Okay," He snickered, "Promise me one thing; give one of those girls a chance."

🌷🌷🌷

"Prince Ashton came to visit the Tavern today."
Nicholas choked on his tea. Orletha ran to him with a handkerchief.

"I'm not a child you know?" He took the handkerchief from her, chuckling to himself.
Her cheeks flushed red of embarrassment, "I'm sorry-"
"But I like the way you pamper me. Almost like I'm your own child."
"Oh.." She rubbed her cheek, as though it'll rub the red away as she sat herself next to him.
"Motherly instinct, I guess.." She shrugged, "You get so caught up in nurturing that you think everyone is your child."

"Hmm.. something I'll never know bout." He retorted.
"Huh?"
"My mother passed away when I was very young. Never knew her, never got to see her."
Now Orletha was beginning toregret what she said, "Oh my, I did not know. I'm so sorry." She placed her hand over his.
"It is fine, and something that couldn't be avoided."
Her touch was gentle and warm, and soft like the rays of the early morning sun.

"You know, everyone fears you. It was almost like they did not see you as human. I was afraid of you too, if I'm being honest with you." They both chuckled. "I'm glad, I'm really glad I got to meet you. It least I know now that myself, and everyone else.. was wrong."
He laced his fingers with hers and squeezed it. And she jumped at this, then squeezed his hand in return.
"Thank you, I really needed to hear that today.."
"The pleasure is all mine."