{21}𝘏𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘺

🌷Chapter 21🌷
𝘏𝘦𝘯𝘳𝘺

Luella strode in the gardens of Howard's Palace as he took shelter from the sun under a tree. Audrey was there as well.
"I've been hearing a lot of rumors about you."
"Like?"
"You fancying a commoner."
Howard averted his gaze from the Knight.
"You know, I once knew her husband.." Audrey started.

Howard's sapphire eyes met the Hazel orbs of the Knight.

"I knew that'd catch your attention. You are interested in her after all." Aubrey chuckled.

Nicholas ignored his statement.

"It's not my story to tell. I think you should find out from her yourself." He interjected. "But the most I'll tell you is that she was orphaned during that attack how many years ago. And that her husband died on a trip overseas."

⚘⚘⚘

He visited her immediately after that conversation he had with Audrey.
She was laughing about something he said, her face cherry red and her eyes running water.
"So you're telling me, the powerful Duke of the Southern Province is afraid of cats!?"
"Yes, it's something I'm not very proud of." He bit in a smile, hoping to hide his embarrassment. He wasn't really comfortable talking about himself, he just want to keep a conversation going so he can ask her about her husband.

The room soon became quiet, it was just the two of them.

"Does.. your son ever wonder about his father?"

His question took her by surprise.

The sudden change in her face made him regret asking her so bluntly. "I'm sorry, forget I asked."

"Yes he does, all the time." She answered quietly.

"How did the two of you meet? If.. You don't mind me asking.."

🌷🌷🌷

There is a law that states eldest daughters are not allowed to inherit any birthright unless she's married. Otherwise, all property would be seized by the government.

She would go to the coast every afternoon and cry.. That was all she could do.

My parents, well, Foster parents, had passed away. A lot of children were left orphaned in the war, unfortunately, I was one of them. They took me in and raised me as their own. Such lovely people they were.

There she was sitting around feeling blue, when she heard this voice behind me.
"Now I wonder why a beautiful lady like yourself is sitting here crying her life away?"

Startled, she wiped her tears and faced the man. "Now who said I was crying? Nobody's crying.. you're imagining things." As she fixed her hair she got a proper look at the man. He was quite handsome.

He had dearing emerald eyes and a charming smile. He wore a washed-up blue shirt with a pair of Khaki pants. He was a fit guy, and quite tall. He said messy, thick ginger hair

"Are you sure? I see you here almost every day. I must have quite the imagination. "

"You're stalking me?"

"No, I work here." He pointed at the ship.

"Oh.." She said. So it was possible he actually saw her crying here.

"So," He propped himself next to her, "What's all the sorrow about?"

🌷🌷🌷

To be continued...