{26}Sorrows

🌷Chapter 26🌷
Sorrows

"And that's how I became married and widowed in the span of three years." She sighed, "Orphaned and married at sixteen, pregnant at seventeen and widowed at eighteen."

Howard was at a loss for words. At the age of sixteen he was sworn in as Duke of the Southern Province. He spent his teens in solitude, to which he enjoyed. With him, he took Bastien and Cherin, a Royal Advisor and Lady in Waiting that once served his late mother. They were assigned to him after his mother's death and continued to serve him ever since. He enjoyed the privacy and freedom with this responsibility he was given.
"For a woman that carries such a pleasant face, one would never think that you were burdened with such sorrow." His hand crept up and cupped her cheek.
There eyes met at that moment, Howard pulled her into him and kissed her in one swift movement. He wondered what had taken over him. Orletha was surprised at this, but she wasn't doing anything to stop him. His lips were soft and his hold was gentle.

What am I doing? What are we doing? She questioned herself.

As good as this embrace felt she pushed him away.

"Is something the matter?" He asked.

"Howard, this isn't something that we should be doing."

"I understand how you feel–"

"I– I think you should go." She stuttered. "I'm sorry," she teared up. "We can't do this." She turned away from him and rushed for her room.

"Orletha." He muttered her name with the shut of the door. He heaved a sigh as he left the home.

🌷🌷🌷

     Nicholas found himself sat at yet another boring meeting where he could be concerned less with. Warrick was explaining how he was preparing himself and the knights for the war that they have to leave for soon. During their conversation it dawned on Howard to tell him what's on his mind.

"Ashton have you taken a look at the laws that governs our kingdom?" Nicholas questioned.
"No, I have not. What about them?" Ashton faced his brother with a quizzed look.
"I've read through them, thoroughly. And it appears to me that they've become outdated."
"Nicholas this is the most I've heard from you in all our meetings since you've been sworn in as Duke. I must say that I am impressed, dear brother." Ashton acknowledged his brother's interest in the topic at hand. "These laws you speak of, have been enforced during our father's reign, his father's reign and his father's father. These are the laws that have kept commers withheld for generations."
"I've never once said that these laws have to be removed, I saying to you now that they should be under review. We've progressed greatly as a Kingdom, but not in all aspects. Like these outdated laws, for example."
"Just what about these laws bother you so?"
"It is forbidden for first born daughters to claim birthrights, unless married. Or else it would be claimed by the Palace. Think of how many women were left homeless and without livelihoods because of this one law. There are many others I can think of."
"I see nothing wrong with that law."
"So this means it applies to Royalty?"
"Elaborate?"
"What if you as a King were to bring forth a female heir? Does that mean she is not eligible for birthright? What do you do then?"
"In our forty generations, there was never a Crown Princess. So that shouldn't be much of a concern–"
"I think we should have this looked into, Prince Ashton." Spencer interjected.
"As we all may know, many of our meetings could be the least of his concerns. So if this is something that caught the attention of Nicholas, I do suggest that we have our list of laws revised."
"

I agree." Warrick started, "If commoners find these regulations hard to adhere to, it wouldn't be long until they start acting out. Yes, these laws have been around for a generation, but we have progressed so much since then."
"It seems I've been outnumbered." Ashton scoffed, "Fair enough, I will see it through with Father to have these laws revised. Dismissed."

🌷🌷🌷