{8}The Southern Province

🌷Chapter 8🌷
The Southern Province

   On Orletha's free time, she went south to the docks, watching the boats as they come and go. The sun's soft rays on the rippling waves, the ocean breeze in her hair. It was calming.
Abel made himself a paper boat and played with it, making up and down motions with the boat as though it was riding actual waves of the ocean.

It was hard not to cry when she saw the rippling waves, and not remember her husband as well. When he goes out to sea she'd wait, to see a ship coming in and a man standing on the edge calling out to her and waving his hands.

"He's not coming back, is he?" Her son asked out of the blue as he grabbed on to her skirt.
"No, he isn't.. sadly." She ran her hands through her son's ginger locs of hair before lifting him up and holding him close to her.

We miss you, Henry..

  "Orletha?" A voice called from behind. She gasped and turned around to see who it was. Her heart always raced once her gaze meets with those of Sapphire.
"Oh, Sir Howard." Her cheeks slightly reddened as she held her son.
"I'm sorry for startling you."

"No, it's fine.." Abel wiggled out of her grasp and hugged the Duke's leg. Even his guards were confused at the boy's actions.
"I'm sorry. It's just that he's taken such a liking to you. He asks me every day if you're ever going to come back to see him."
"I myself have taken a liking to him." He said
"So, what brought you to the coast?"

"I govern the southern province of this kingdom." He said. Orletha was from the Central Province of Leudai, soon to live under Ashton's reign.
"Oh," Her cheeks changed to a light pink, "I must have forgotton." She was fifteen years old when they were sworn into their provinces, Nicholas was sixteen when he was sworn in.
"And you?"
"Oh, um.. My son likes to watch the ships. It always fascinated him." She said.
"Hm," He nodded as he stood next to her, holding her son's hand.

Orletha took notice of the judgeful eyes of the passersby, she would hate if nasty rumors ruined this lovely man's reputation. People already seem to fear and dislike him.
"It's about time we go home, now."
"I'd give you a ride."
"Oh, no, you have done a lot for me.. I don't want to waste your time."
"Please, Orletha, I insist." Her heart fluttered in her chest as she heard the way he said her name, almost like a hymn. Then she realised that she never once told him her name, so I must have gotten it from the book.

She took a deep breath, and exhaled, "Alright." She nodded. He helped her into the seat, Abel begged to sit with in front the driver and Howard let him though Orletha was against it. He also wanted to be alone with her.
The carriage was made for one, so it was a tight fit for the both of them. His leg was jammed against hers and she felt his breath on her shoulder.
"Is it difficult being a Duke?" She asked out of the blue.
"No, at least not as yet, that is.."

"I heard some palace knights talking about some war, is that true?"
"Yes, I'm afraid."
"Oh, the last time there was a war, seventeen years ago, I lost my parents."
"I'm sorry for your loss."
"Thank you, my neighbors adopted me. They passed away when I was sixteen from a deadly cold." She stared out the window, "How is life? Being of a Royal family and all?"
"I wouldn't say it's nice, or terrible either. I'd say it's somewhere in between."

Her ears rang with her son's joyous laughter outside, she sighed and smiled a little.
"Oh, Abel.." She shook her head.
"Where is his father?" Nicholas asked suddenly, her heart fell to the pit of her stomach.
"He's.. a sailor. He left to voage when Abel was an infant, I hadn't seen or heard from him since.."

If that's the case, then why call her a widow?

"Oh, I see.." He nodded. "If you give me a name, I could arrange for him to come home."
"Henry Keaton."
"I will look into it once I head home."
"Thank you."

With the exception of her son's laughter, the ride was silent all the way home. The sun had already set, and market persons were packing up their goods to head home.
The carriage stopped at their house, Howard opened the door and stepped out.

He held his gloved hand out to her for her to hold. She placed her hand in his, he held it so gently.
Her feet didn't touch the ground and she stumbled into him, his hand gripped her firmly at the waist.
"I'm s.. sorry." She quickly pulled away as though she came into contact with fire and fixed herself.
"It's fine." He flashed her a little grin.

The driver helped down the drowsy little boy who could barely keep himself upright, she held her son in her arms and swayed him to sleep.
He escorted her to her door and stood there.
"I hope to see you soon."
"You will. Goodnight."
"Goodnight."