{16}By My Side

⚘Chapter 16⚘
By My Side

    Opening the door to the little house, the Duke welcomed himself in. His eyes focused on the mother and son who held hands and swayed gently to a tune she was singing. He recognized the tune as he stood there, quietly closing in the door with the heel of his shoe as he watch them dance off beat.
"This is fun!" Abel proclaimed.
"I know, dear. Imagine on the day of the festival." She smiled down at her son that clung to her waist.

    She lifted her gaze to the man standing at the door, her smile grew wider.
"Howard, I didn't see you there!"
Her son waved at the man and he waved back.
"Yeah, for a little while. What was this thing you said about a festival?" Nicholas inched himself closer to her and her son.

"Oh that. His schooling institution is having a little festival, where they can pick a partner and dance. Almost like they are mimicking a ball of sorts."
"Ah, I see. And does he have a partner to dance with?"
"Oh yes, a lovely girl right through the alley named Ilene."
"How adorable."
"He's so excited. He rushed home as fast as he could and begged me to teach him to dance."

"Howie!" Abel addressed him by a nickname he made. "How about you dance with mother and show me?" The child suggested.
Orletha and Howard shared a look before smiling at one another.  The Duke offered his hand to the woman,
"May I have this dance?" He asked.
"I thought you'd never ask." She fitted her hand in his.
He gently drew her closer to him, resting his hand on her waist.
"I can't dance without music." He said.
"Oh.. sorry.." The flustered woman said.

"The sound of the gentle rain
Is like a lullaby to my ears
I feel the warmth of your embrace
That reminds me that I've nothing to fear"

She sang softly as she tried to match his movements, his hold on her was firm but yet so gentle.

"When the stars fall and pierces the earth,
I'd like you to  be by my side
When all is well or it all goes bad,
I'd like you to be by my side."

"You have a beautiful voice." He whispered in her ear, sending a feeling of warmth all over her body.
"Thank you." She bit in her smile and continued to sing.

"Your hand in mine
My head on your shoulder
May the Gods spear us a lifetime and over
I gaze at the skies and remembered that time
You held me so tight and told me you loved me"

With a firm grip on her waist, he leaned her over. Slowly bringing her back to he feet again.

If you leave, I'd be a lost leaf in the wind
Please, would you stay by my side?
In hot summer days and cold winter nights
I beg you, please stay by my side.

   The song came to an end, and so did their dance. Nicholas removed his hands from her waist which to him felt like a crime. Orletha stepped back, allowing distance to come between them.
    Young Abel sat entranced the entire time, his eyes followed each of their movements. He also hummed and clapped to the tune as he smiled at his bashful mother dancing with the Duke. A few nights back the boy recalled making a wish on a shooting star, wishing for Nicholas to stay in their lives and make his mother happy.
The song Orletha sang was an old wedding song said to be written by a Goddess to her mortal lover for whom she gave up her immortality to live a normal human life with said mortal. It has been a tradition for weddings ever since. Orletha even sang the song to her long gone husband on their wedding day.
And here she was, singing the very same song to another man.

🌷🌷🌷

[A/N: Yes the song is written by yours truly♡]

[Fun Fact: I misspelled 'Orthea for Orletha and decided to keep it since I liked it more lol]