Chapter 14

Some time later ~

Makuu . . .

Wake up, Makuu.

You're almost home.

Makuu . . .

***

Unsettled by the dream-like voice, Makuu awoke from his slumber and scanned the area. Aside from Chibali and Kasim, who were sound asleep, nobody else was around.

"Guess I was just hearing things, then," Makuu whispered to himself.

Suddenly, a chilling laugh erupted from the canopy. Makuu stiffened at the sound, which grew louder until a black and white monkey landed within his sightline just a few tail lengths away.

"What, you ain't gonna talk?" The monkey taunted. "I know ya have a tongue, so why don't ya use it?"

"Are you kidding?" Makuu hissed. "Do you want me to get in trouble?"

The monkey laughed.

"With who? Them?"

The monkey gestured a hand at Chibali and Kasim, who were still asleep, much to Makuu's surprise. Then, he noticed something that wasn't there before. There were two, large flowers, ones that Makuu has never seen before, tucked underneath the other crocodiles' heads. Makuu leaned towards one of the flowers to get a closer look.

"I wouldn't get close to those if I were you," the monkey warned. "Unless you want to be out like the proverbial light."

"What did you do to them?" Makuu asked as he quickly pulled himself away from the flowers.

"Why do you assume it was me?"

Makuu turned his skeptical gaze onto the monkey. The monkey threw his hands into the air and laughed.

"Alright, you got me. Yes, I put those flowers there. Did you know that some plants have the ability to put you to sleep? Of course you wouldn't, would you?"

"...Who are you?" Makuu asked.

"Ah, my apologies," the monkey chittered. He padded closer to the crocodiles until he was right in front of Makuu. "I am Auni the Colobus Monkey, who has come to help or assist in any way that I can as an important favor for a mutual associate of mine, whose identity is currently of no importance."

Makuu couldn't possibly fathom who would send a monkey to help him, -- a crocodile of all animals! -- but he had the sneaking suspicion that he wouldn't be getting an answer, no matter what.

"So . . . these two will be like this for how long?" Makuu asked, eyeing Chibali and Kasim.

"That, I do not know," Auni replied nonchalantly.

"You're kidding, right?"

"'You're kidding, right?' Did you seriously just ask me -- a monkey -- that question?!"

Auni broke out into hoots and hollers of laughter. He wrapped his arms around his body, attempting to keep himself upright. Makuu patiently endured the embarrassment.

"I applaud you, crocodile," Auni said after a while, wiping stray tears from his eyes. "I haven't laughed like that in a long time."

"You're welcome, I guess," Makuu grumbled. "Now, can you get me back home or not?"

Auni grinned, then performed a couple of backflips and landed in the exact same spot from where he first showed himself.

"But of course!" Auni said as he took a bow. Makuu only rolled his eyes at the simian showoff.

"Yeah, yeah, I got it. You monkeys are acrobats. Can we go now?"

Auni straightened his posture and huffed. He fluffed his white cheek fur with a flick of his wrist.

"Well, there's no need to be so rude about it. Come along, then, Makuu. The Pridelands aren't that far away."

Before Makuu could take a step away from Chibali and Kasim, he froze.

"My associate told me lots about you and your home, Makuu," Auni added quickly, before Makuu had any time to delve deep into his thoughts. "Of course, I can't tell you who they are, but you already know that."

"Yeah, I do," Makuu said as he left Chibali and Kasim behind to catch up with Auni.

The crocodile and the monkey continued to walk on in silence.

"You know, that reminds me of someone else that I know," Makuu spoke. "Or, at least, someone I thought I knew."

"Sounds like yer pal is in the same business as me," Auni replied.

"And this business of yours is something you can't tell me about, either, right?"

"Aye!"

The two animals returned to traveling in silence. Soon, the tree line opened up to a silent, early morning savanna. Makuu recognized the landscape immediately.

"The Pridelands," Makuu breathed.

"Yup, yer home now," Auni declared, patting Makuu's shoulder. "I don't suppose you need directions to get anywhere specific?"

"No, no, I'm good. I can find my way back from here."

"A'right, then! If ya need anything else, just let me know. Granted, you may want to make it quick, since I have to get a goin' soon."

Makuu thought about it, but nothing would come to his mind. That is, until Auni turned to leave.

"Wait, Auni!"

Auni chittered something under his breath, something that Makuu couldn't hear, then twisted his head around to face him.

"Yes?" Auni asked, a creepy grin plastered on his face.

". . . Is there a chance that you could find my niece, Kunto? She's a yearling, and . . . no one's even sure whether she's alive or not."

"Pfft! Don't worry! We're taking care of her alright!"

Both Makuu and Auni stiffened, their eyes widened and mouths agape.

"I . . . wasn't supposed to say that," Auni admitted, then completely freaked out. "Oh well! Would you look at the time? My job is done for the day, but let's meet again sometime! I'm sure we'll have just as much fun! Anyway, it was a pleasure meeting you, Makuu! Ta-ta!"

Auni continued chittering away as he bounded back the way they came. Makuu, however, didn't go after him. He just stood where he was, the shock of Auni' slip-up slowly ebbing away.

What in the world is really going on here?