Chapter 15

"I'm actually surprised."

"What?"

"That you're not complaining or asking to take a break, what with your leg and all."

"Why would I complain about something that's your fault? Remember? You were the one who broke my leg, not me! Or would that be 'myself'?"

"Does it really matter? It just means the same thing, anyway."

"...This is weird."

After an awkward pause, Kiburi had to voice his thoughts, the major one being: how was he having a casual conversation with Kellan, the one animal who's spent most of his life trying to get rid of him?

"You mean us talking to each other?" Kellan said without looking at Kiburi. "I believe we've already been doing so for quite a while now."

"Yeah, if you don't count the death threats," Kiburi pointed out.

"Not all of them were death threats."

"Or any other threat for that matter."

"Trivial things."

"And who could possibly forget about all of the physical and mental manipulation?"

"It wasn't manipulation."

"Then what would you call it?"

Kellan fell silent after that. Either he didn't have an answer, or he did, and he just wanted Kiburi to figure it out for himself. However, Kiburi didn't push Kellan on the matter. He already figured what the older crocodile would say, anyway.

Not long after they stopped conversing with each other, Kellan and Kiburi reached a long, swirling stretch of river that cut through small islands of green, some of which were occupied by a single tree. A light breeze blew across the land, provoking the grass and reeds from their standstills. The clear blue sky was bright and cloudless, allowing the sun's rays to touch everything.

The whole place was peaceful, but something felt off. Both crocodiles sensed that something was not right.

"Are you sure this is the place?" Kiburi asked. He expected a rebuke from Kellan, but, surprisingly enough, it never came. Kellan didn't even say anything. He stood on the riverbank, scanning the area, but did nothing else.

"Shouldn't there be someone here or something?"

Once again, Kellan didn't answer Kiburi.

What is up with him? Kiburi thought. He's been acting strange ever since we left the others behind.

"Where is he?" Kellan hissed, bringing Kiburi's attention back to reality.

"Maybe he's not coming?" Kiburi offered. If it really is my father whom you're waiting for.

Time seemed to drag on for eternity. Both crocodiles stayed by the riverside for the whole day, and slept there throughout the night. Kellan patrolled the area multiple times, often leaving Kiburi free reign to do whatever he wanted. Kiburi knew that with Kellan focused on something else, he could escape. He desperately wanted to, but he didn't. He hung back, much to both his own surprise and Kellan's. Although, both figured why he hadn't bothered leaving when he had all the chances to.

***

When Kiburi awoke the next morning, he was surprised to see Kellan awake, but at the same time, asleep. The older crocodile was lying on the ground, but held his head high. He was keeping watch, just like yesterday, except for the half-closed eyes.

"Did you get any sleep at all last night?" Kiburi asked.

"What's it matter to you?" Kellan snorted in response.

Kiburi shrugged off Kellan's response. He didn't feel like getting into an argument with the older crocodile this morning. So far, Kiburi hasn't done anything to provoke an early killing from Kellan, and he would rather prefer to keep it that way.

"Well, this is a surprise."

The crocodiles looked up and spotted a small, sunset-colored bird landing not that far away from them.

"What is a surprise, is that you're here instead of that stupid crocodile that I want to kill," Kellan snarled, rising to his feet.

Well, that was fast, Kiburi thought. Didn't take him long to go back to his normal self. I guess he isn't as tired as he looks.

"Well, that's not exactly my fault," Talib pointed out. "Technically, the only thing I'm useful for is keeping and relaying messages and the sort. I can't exactly lead anyone to where they want to go because . . ."

"Does it look like I care?!" Kellan snapped.

"No, of course not."

Despite Kellan's temper, Talib was handling the situation with his usual eerie calmness.

"Well, you better have some sort of explanation as to why you're here and not that . . .'' Kellan stopped mid-sentence, then took a long, deep breath, and calmed himself down before he continued. "Just tell me what you came here to tell me."

Kiburi was taken aback by Kellan's restraint. Talib, not so much, if at all.

"Well, since this is a personal matter, your adversary wishes to end it where it all started," Talib answered.

"Wait, you don't mean...?" Kiburi butted in before Kellan could say something.

"He wants to relocate this little 'family reunion' to the Pridelands."

"But I . . . I mean he . . . what?" Kellan stammered, completely baffled.

"Why would he want to do that?" Kiburi asked in Kellan's place.

"My apologies, but I'm only supposed to do what I'm told," Talib replied simply. "Besides, like he said what I told you already, it's a personal matter. I don't understand what the problem is."

Kellan, keeping his jaws shut, turned to give Kiburi a "Well what the F are we supposed to do now?" look. Kiburi didn't know what to say, so he shrugged his working shoulder in response instead.

"Well, if we're all set here, I'm taking off. Tons to do and so little time to get it all done."

Talib left, but despite their many grievances, neither crocodile bothered going after him.

Kiburi raised himself to his feet and limped over to stand beside Kellan. The older crocodile was looking towards the horizon.

"So . . ." Kiburi trailed.

"Off to the Pridelands we go, I suppose," Kellan grumbled.

Both crocodiles turned back the way they came and began retracing their steps.

"I swear, if I ever see that bird again, -- I don't care what he does for a living or who his friends are, assuming he has any friends -- I'm going to kill him," Kellan snarled.

"Mmm, you're going to have to fight Makuu for that privilege," Kiburi said.

Following Kiburi's statement was something that he never thought would actually happen: Kellan laughed; an actual, genuine laugh. That laugh stuck with Kiburi for the rest of their long journey back to the Pridelands.