Chapter 24

The entire area fell silent. Nobody was expecting somebody else to butt-in, let alone somebody who wasn't a crocodile.

"Zane?" Kunto whispered, more shocked by Zane's presence than she was of anything else going on at that point in time.

What is he doing here? How is he even here? I thought guards were posted to keep an eye on him all the time! What am I thinking? He should be resting! Why does he look so healthy all of a sudden? It's like he's back to what he should look like. But, how?

"What's going on? Who is . . . Zane?" Makuu asked, sounding just as surprised as everybody looked. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Helping," Zane said, a glint of determination sparkling in his eye.

"I don't know what you think you know, lion, but this is none of your business," Kellan threatened. "So I suggest you leave, before I have you forcibly removed by Kasim and Chibali."

As if having already been given the command, Chibali and Kasim left the other crocodiles behind to deal with Zane. They flanked him, getting close enough to strike if the lion tried anything.

Please don't hurt him please don't hurt him please don't hurt him...

"Kiburi's father, his name was Ade," Zane said again.

Kellan didn't say a word, but he did appear to be considering what was being said. Beside her, Kunto could feel her father's body tense. Clearly, he was as anxious to hear about his father as Kellan was. As everybody was. Maybe even more than everybody combined.

"Well, then, if you insist," Kellan sighed. He backed off of Makuu and turned to face Zane. "Tell me what you know, and I might refrain from letting my cousins tear you apart."

Zane nodded.

Kunto couldn't be sure, but she thought that Zane's gaze was focused on her when he obliged Kellan's need to know.

Is this it? Is he going to tell us what happened that day? The day he never told me about?

"One day, while I was out hunting, I came across a place of death," Zane said, releasing a sudden shudder before continuing. "It was unlike anything I had ever seen. There were dead bodies everywhere, being feasted upon by flies and other insects, as those were the only living things around. At least, that's what I thought at first. Just as I was about to leave, I came across a crocodile. She was dying, but still alive."

"Did she..." Kellan interrupted, then stopped. He took a deep, ragged breath, as if he was afraid to ask his question. "Did she tell you her name?"

"Jamila. Her name was Jamila. Makuu and Kiburi's mother, if I'm not mistaken?"

Lake Matope was silent. Even the crowd of gathering animals, including the Royals and the Guard, didn't utter so much as a whisper.

A million thoughts were swirling around in Kunto's mind, and she couldn't focus on a single one. The only thing she was focused on was the present.

"Mom..." Kiburi whispered. He lowered his head, closed his eyes, and sighed. On shore, Makuu shared the same reaction: droopy head, closed eyes, and heavy breathing.

They're trying not to cry in front of everyone. Either that, or they don't know how they should be feeling, and with everything going on, emotions are just bubbling to the surface.

"What..." Kellan coughed, restarting the conversation. "What else did she say?"

"She told me to lay her to rest beside her mate, Ade," Zane answered in a cool calmness. Kellan sucked in a breath, preventing himself from lashing out.