Chapter 2

"Got you!"

Masika laughed as she surged out from the reeds that lined the lake's edge, Mosi clinging to her tail as he squealed in either fright or excitement, or both. The rest of the float, including Makuu, - who was keeping an eye out from his spot on a flat rock as he cooled off under the dappled shade of a tree - watched the two play.

"Uncle Makuu, did you see that?" Mosi called.

"I did," Makuu responded. "Not bad, kid. Not bad at all."

"Really? Does that mean you'll join us?"

"Uh..."

"Yeah, Makuu, come on!" Masika joined in. "Stop being such a stick in the mud. Besides, the water feels nice!"

"Ha! Nice try, Masika! But I'll pass, thanks."

Masika and Mosi weren't having any of it. They were begging Makuu to join in the fun.

"Makuu!" A voice called. The leader turned his head and spotted Kion and the Guard headed his way.

Oh, stars, what now? I hope it isn't Kiburi.

"Yes, Kion, what do you want?" Makuu asked once the Guard reached him.

"Actually, it's not so much what I want, but rather what Beshte wants," Kion answered.

Makuu was surprised. He didn't expect a hippo, of all animals, to want something from him. He altered his gaze and stared skeptically at Beshte.

"I'm listening," Makuu spoke.

"Well, I was supposed to give you the message earlier, but I was leaving on patrol, so I asked Kion if we could take a slight detour so I could come here and give the message to you," Beshte explained.

"And?"

"Well, my dad told me to tell you to meet him at Big Springs as soon as possible."

"Why?"

"I don't know. He didn't say, but he sounded kinda worried when he asked."

"Worried?"

"Yeah. Oh! And he also said for you to come alone. Bring nobody."

Makuu would not lie to himself; he was unnerved by the message. He knew that Basi was never much of a worrier, but this time, it sounded like he was worried, which set his scales on edge.

"What does your dad need from Makuu?" Kion asked, his own suspicions peaking.

"I'm starting to wonder about that myself," Makuu said, sliding off of his rock. "I might as well head over and figure out what's wrong."

"Would you like us to come with you?" Beshte offered.

"No, I'm good. But, your offer is appreciated."

"Alright, but if you need anything..." Kion began.

"I'll be sure to let you know," Makuu interrupted.

Kion and Beshte bowed their heads in respect to the crocodile leader, and with the rest of the Guard in tow, went back on patrol.

"Makuu, what was that all about?"

A small blue and orange lizard bounded in front of Makuu, both watching the Guard as they left the crocodiles behind and went back to their daily routine.

"I don't know, Hodari, but I'm gonna find out," Makuu responded, already walking away. "If anyone asks where I am, tell them I'm visiting Basi at Big Springs."

"Got it, Makuu!" Hodari replied enthusiastically.

The crocodile, however, felt the opposite of the gecko. He didn't feel enthusiastic whatsoever; only anxious as he thought about what could possibly be wrong now.