Chapter 6

What's dad hiding? It must be important. What am I saying? Of course it's important! He'll tell everyone else but us, his own children for stars sake! Honestly, is keeping a secret more important to dad than this family? Are we just not as important as I thought we were? I mean, he does love us, doesn't he? Clearly not enough to trust us with his secrets.

Kunto twisted and turned in her sleep, unable to get comfortable. Her thoughts about what happened earlier today were keeping her awake. She knew that Kiburi was hiding something, but she wasn't entirely sure what or why just yet.

"Kunto, stop squirming! Some of us are trying to sleep here!" Berko growled.

"Sorry!" Kunto hissed, even though she wasn't.

"Please, guys, I'm tired," Mosi mumbled. "Can you two wait till morning to fight?"

"Stop complaining, Mosi. It's Kunto's fault, anyway."

"Fine. I'll just sleep somewhere else, then."

After untangling herself from her brothers, Kunto walked away.

"The adults don't want us wandering off," Mosi warned.

"Don't worry, I'm not going far," Kunto reassured. "I just want a spot that isn't next to you know who."

"That'd be my luck, sis," Berko joked before nestling into Kunto's now empty spot.

Kunto snarled. She paid no more heed to her brothers as she settled down beside Zula. Suddenly, though, she stopped. An idea formed in her mind. She was well aware of the fact that it was definitely stupid and totally against the rules, but she so badly wanted answers to questions that she knows she can't ask.

Kunto let her gaze flick between each and every crocodile present. As far as she could tell, they were all sleeping. Whether they were deep in slumber or not, it didn't matter; their eyes were closed, and the only sounds that came out of them were peaceful snores.

Now's your chance, Kunto. This might be the only one you get.

Kunto was, admittedly, a little hesitant, but her curiosity and overall worry for her family fuels her decision to set out on her own.

If mom and dad find out about this, I am so dead. No matter. If I help get whatever is going on sorted out, then maybe they can forgive me or something like that. They can see that I can take care of myself and that I can handle whatever secrets they are hiding. No big deal, right?

***

After spending what felt like forever out on the open savanna, in plain view of nighttime predators, Kunto eventually reached the edges of a jungle. Despite her exhaustion, she gathered her breath and made a run for it, past the bushes and into the dark, overgrown forest.

Whoa! This is so cool! Creepy, but cool! It seems like the kind of place where there would be a million hiding spots, which is quite useful. I bet all this vegetation certainly helps with that. Speaking of which, I wonder what it looks like during the day? It must be so pretty! Oh well. That will have to wait till later. Right now, I'm on a tight schedule. Answers answers answers . . .

Kunto's thoughts swirled wildly around inside her mind as she made her way further into the jungle. And the further she went, the more in awe she was, and the more distracted she was, too. She had to keep her wits about her, before . . .

Suddenly, Kunto rammed head first into something solid. She grunted and backed away to see what she bumped into. At first, she thought it was a tree trunk, but upon closer inspection, . . .