Prologue

"Kiburi?"

At the sound of his name, Kiburi twisted his head around and saw three crocodiles, darker and younger than him, standing nearby. Their eyes shone with worry. Kiburi didn't care for their pity, and placed his head back on top of his claws.

"What do you guys want?" Kiburi snarled.

"W...we wanted to see if you were alright," Nduli stammered.

"Well, you're all here now. So, tell me, does it look like I am alright to you?"

The following silence spoke volumes.

"I thought so," Kiburi muttered. "Now, if you're not here for any other reason, I suggest you go away and leave me alone."

"But..." Tamka tried to protest, but Kiburi didn't give him the chance to finish. He turned on his friend and pinned him to the ground.

"'But' nothing! I don't want to go back to the float, not after everything that has happened! Just stay away from me!"

Tamka and the others fell silent. They didn't say anything else, for they didn't want Kiburi to get any angrier with them than he already was.

"Kiburi," a new voice said.

No, Kiburi thought, immediately recognizing who it was that spoke, but not wanting to believe it. He backed off of Tamka and turned around, his eyes narrowing the moment they landed on a beautiful female crocodile standing nearby, her scales shining in the moonlight. Her face was filled with sorrow.

"Kiburi, I..." the female started, then paused. She turned to look at Kiburi's friends. "You youngsters can head back to the float. I want to spend the night with my s...Kiburi."

Kiburi glared at his mother for her near slip up; he didn't want her to use the "s" word in front of him.

"Are you sure?" Tamka asked.

"Just go already!" Kiburi snapped.

Terrified of their friend's rage, the other crocodiles finally decided that it was time to leave. Once they were out of sight, Kiburi's mother began speaking again.

"Kiburi..."

"Stop saying my name and cut to the chase already, Jamila. What do you want?" Kiburi interrupted, not caring what tone he used, for he did not care about her. Not anymore. Not after learning the truth.

"I know you're probably wondering what happened..." Jamila started. She paused and took a breath before continuing. "And I want to do my best to reveal all I can to you."

The two crocodiles stood in silence, staring at each other.

"Do you expect me to forgive you after this?" Kiburi asked.

"It would be selfish of me to think so," Jamila responded, then walked away.

"Hey! Where are you going?"

Jamila didn't stop. Kiburi was still angry, -- very angry -- but also curious. Soon, he was walking side-by-side with his mother. Neither of them said a word as Jamila led Kiburi to a secluded grove of trees and wild grass that branched off from the jungle.

"What is this place? Why did you bring me here?" Kiburi questioned.

Jamila didn't answer. She kept on walking until she disappeared behind the bushes. Kiburi growled under his breath before going in after her. When he emerged on the other side, it wasn't what he was expecting.

"A pond?" Kiburi said simply as he stared at the leaf and moonlight dappled water. He turned to Jamila and asked, "Why did you bring us all the way out here for . . . this?"

Jamila turned to look at Kiburi for a minute before looking back at the pond.

"This . . . this is where I met your father," Jamila answered, a smile crossing her face.

Kiburi stood where he was, frozen in place from shock. He wanted to say something, but his jaws felt clamped shut, so he could only keep quiet and listen as Jamila continued talking.

"I can't exactly remember how we met, but I remember all that followed as our relationship continued to grow. At first, I found comfort in him as a good friend, someone I could talk to outside of the float. I never felt stressed around your father, Kiburi. In fact, you're like him not just in looks, but in personality as well: strong, determined, independent, and cocky as all hell. Eventually, I couldn't resist the feeling anymore. I fell in love. You followed not much later."

Jamila stopped for a moment before continuing.

"You know, I laid your egg here, and you hatched here as well."

"Really? I was born here?" Kiburi pondered, looking around the place of his birth. However, while standing in his trance, a thought lurking at the back of his mind began to surface. He whispered to himself, "Wonder why dad didn't take me."

"Hm? What's that, Kiburi?" Jamila asked.

"My father . . . why didn't he take me with him? Why did you take me? If I went with him instead of you, no one would have known the truth."

Jamila opened and closed her jaws repeatedly, unsure of what to say. She sighed and shook her head, breaking eye contact with Kiburi.

"I don't know, Kiburi," Jamila answered. "I honestly don't know. But, I do have one thing to say: the truth would have come to the surface eventually; it always does. The truth knows how to reveal itself, no matter how much you want to keep it hidden."

"So, even if I went with dad, you still would have gotten in trouble?" Kiburi questioned.

"Maybe, but we'll never know now. Besides, what's done is done. No one can change the past . . . and I honestly hope that you are prepared for whatever comes next."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"...I'm leaving, Kiburi."

Kiburi stiffened, but he didn't stay that way for long as his blood boiled with anger.

"You're leaving?! What do you mean you're leaving?" Kiburi yelled, digging his claws into the ground to prevent himself from lunging at Jamila -- as tempting as the prospect was. "Are you running away or something? Leaving me behind to deal with your mess? I don't need to deal with any of this! None of this is my fault! I shouldn't be held accountable for your mistakes!"

"Kiburi, I'm sorry, I really am, but I can't stay here," Jamila pleaded.

"Why not? What's more important than . . . than . . . all of this?"

"I would tell you, but you wouldn't understand."

"'Wouldn't understand'? Wouldn't understand what?"

"I'm sorry, Kiburi. I am so very sorry. But, if it's any consolation, I am proud of who you are. Don't let anyone change you. Goodbye, my love."

And with that, Jamila was gone. Kiburi stayed put, his blurry, tear-filled eyes attempting to focus on something. On anything. On anyone.